Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my new Dot

WireWhipper

Greetings Epiphonians,

Per tradition I have posted pics of my new Dot below. As I mentioned before I had no intention of buying a Dot until I saw this beauty hanging on the wall with a clearance tag on it. I picked it up expecting something to be wrong with it but aside from the poor setup (in the USA by #27 - ha!) the finish looked great and all the knobs, switch and jack worked flawlessly. Realizing this was a steal with the clearance price I took it to the counter to make my purchase when the worker saw that the clearance tag was intended for a lefty Dot in the back, but was mistakenly placed on my guitar. Nonetheless they graciously honored the clearance price anyway, and I walked out the proud owner of a shiny new Dot.

So far, issues have been few. I had it set up at my local shop and still had issues with some strings getting hung up in the nut. My tech re-filed and graphited the nut but suggested that the tuners might be bad. So I bought a set of Gibson/Grover tulip head tuners and installed them, but the D string was still getting hung up. While I'm bummed I spent the $ on tuners I didn't actually need, the guitar now seems to stay in tune better, so I'll just keep them. I will be replacing the nut soon, though.

So far I've played it at a recent gig and a few rehearsals and I've gotten numerous compliments on both the look and sound. Overall I'm very impressed with the quality for the price!

Headstock complete w/new tulip head Grovers:

DSC00783.jpg

Dressed in red:

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

HNGD! Dots are a really nice guitar for the money. Yours looks nice, and even better since you got a great price. I have 5 Epis now, and I have never had any problems with the original tuners. I did switch out the tuners on 4 of my Epis with Grover Deluxe Vintage Green Keystones, only because I like the looks of them better than the kidney knobs on the rotomatics. I would say that any tech worth his salt should be able to file your nut down so your D string isn't catching in the nut. If you paid for a set up, I'd take it back and tell the tech that it is still catching. You can tell if it is catching, if it pops, not sure that is really a good way of saying it, when you are tuning it is catching in either the nut or the bridge, so your problem may be in the bridge too. There is nohting wrong with putting on a new bone nut though. I have the original plastic nut on mine and it works fine for me. Like they say, if it ain't broke...

Welcome and enjoy you new guitar!

Archived