Gibson Brands Forums

So I am looking for a new amp.

Big Arm

Hadn't cosidered the Valve Jr until looking through posts here. Sounds like people are really happy with them. I currently have a 30 watt tube amp, but can't really turn it up at all in my little house. So what can you tell me about this amp? I looked through a month or so of posts here. It seems that there are many mods available. Would one be smart to wait for the Hot Rod version or are all or you getting the sounds you want out of it? Is 5 watts plenty big enough? One of the other amps I was considering is the egnater rebel 20 which is a good deal more expensive, but is it more versatile? Sorry for all the questions. Too much going on in this mind! I will be playing a Gibson ES-345 and soon an Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flametop which is supposed to ship soon.

The Valve Junior really only has two sounds - on and off... the rest of it is up to the effects and the guitar. I quite like mine, but I'm not particularly drawn to effects. The only effects I ever use are on recordings, and that's only to clean up the artifacts created by my less-than-perfect recording equipment.

If you play between 7 and 12, you have a clean sound. If you play between 12 and 5, you have overdrive.

I love mine, I only have a clean sound till 9 0clock but im using a LP with high output pickups!

You can get a lovely crunch the louder you go the quite a bit of overdrive at the max volume. The sound is 100 times nicer than my Vox AD-30-VT but isnt as versatile. Ive recently started using pedals in front of it and should be getting more after xmas so will have more effects. This amp loves effects too!

Ive used a cheap blackcat delay pedal and it sounds beautiful. Even the boss DS-1 dont sound to bad and it gets a slatting on here for being a very crap sounding pedal!

Great volume for home practice to and it drives a 2x12" speaker cab lovely i tried. Aparantly itll power a 4x12 too. I have the version 3 combo and love it. Highly recommended.

I've had the Valve Jr vers 3 with the 1X12 matching cab (12" Eminence Lady Luck) for about 2 months now and I love it. Never turn it up much past 10 o'clock or so - it is pretty loud. Very nice tone; loves pedals. I play a Fender strat and an Epi LP thru it, and it sounds great to me.

I know other here find it lacking, but for practicing at home it can't be beat; and the price is right. You can mod it - most do - but for now I am real happy with it stock. The most amazing thing - to me - is that I have finally seen what the volume and tone pots on a guitar can really do - its basically how you modulate your sound.

Archived