Gibson Brands Forums

black beauty 3 re-wire HELP!

stabarah

i have an epiphone black beauty 3 from the early 80' with bigsby. im thinking of swapping the middle pickup for a single-coil from and old guitar, unplugging the 3-way selector and re-wiring the knobs like so:

1. master volume (stays the same)

2. neck pickup volume

3. middle pickup volume

4. bridge pickup volume

or

1. tone (stays the same)

2. neck pickup volume

3. middle pickup volume

4. bridge pickup volume

any suggestions or tips. it would really help me out.

i have an epiphone black beauty 3 from the early 80' with bigsby. im thinking of swapping the middle pickup for a single-coil from and old guitar' date=' unplugging the 3-way selector and re-wiring the knobs like so:

1. master volume (stays the same)

2. neck pickup volume

3. middle pickup volume

4. bridge pickup volume

or

1. tone (stays the same)

2. neck pickup volume

3. middle pickup volume

4. bridge pickup volume

any suggestions or tips. it would really help me out.[/quote']

The easiest way around what you are trying to do is to substitute a Strat style

5 way in place of the 3 way and go with Seymour Duncan strat wiring...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2hb_1vol_2tone_5way

Master volume, two tone and 5 way. You can add an additional volume for

the middle, but this will complicate the wiring.

This is the most useful way to wire a 3 PUP Les Paul IMHO......much better than stock! It blends the middle pickup in...in any switch position. lp3p.gif

Good drawing, Layboomo..the only comment, I have is that the bridge volume outer

tap is fed directly to the 3-way rather than the middle tap. I would think it is better

to have some "load" on the p_up via the full 500k resistance of the pot across it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will work but what if I connect the pickup to there own volume knob then all to the master tone then to the output? Another idea I want to mix in would be to have a middle pickup with4 leads and it's volume knob would be push/pull. In one position of the p/p knob, it would be humbucker and the other would be single coil. This way I could blend in different amounts of each pickup at the same time to make different sounds and I could have a single coil (I dont like selectors).

Archived