Gibson Brands Forums

EPI Joe Pass wiring

BSAKing

I find that I am using this guitar quite a bit and really am quite pleased with it. I think the build quality and raw tone are quite decent with a few things needing to be touched up. I should mention the following for proper fit of replacements.

Guitar Info - Joe Pass EPiphone

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

March 1997

Production Number: 6825

I think it could definitely benefit from pickup upgrade/replacement and I may as well do the wiring while I am there to avoid future issues. I already had to adjust the tailpiece alignment since it was off center WRT to the pups and neck. I also want to replace the stock tuners on it as I find they are somewhat 'slack'

That being said, I have looked around and have not found a stock schematic on it. Anyone? Gibson site has everything but....

Assuming I find said schematic, any recommendations on wiring changes while I am in there? Aside from changing caps, etc, was thinking more of actual configuration changes I may consider.

I do not want to break the bank on this, and it will happen into the new year, so my preliminary searches have suggested the following as reasonably priced options. FWIW I think I'll just keep the beast with gold hardware so that enters into the picture.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59algohuclt.html

or

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage/sh55_seth_lover/

My main interest is fingerpicking (Chet is rolling over about now with that statement) and jazz type of thing on this beast so need nothing too hot nor shrill. More mellow but clear sounding with full range.

Any recommendations on pups, parts, wiring welcomed. My preference is to get everything I need ahead of time and do it at one shot rather than piecemeal.

Never done it, but I have read the posts about fishing wire, template layout on paper, etc. so I figure I can manage it.

In the meantime, TIA and a Merry Christmas Cat (or insert your favourite animal here...) to all! =D>

There are some nice options for you out there. A lot of us have used the GFS pickups and like them. Some have used the Stew-Mac house brands and there are some who have suggested Kent Armstrongs. There are other options out there.

Many have said very nice things about the GFS Vintage 59 and there appears to be a new Classic II humbucker that I just saw for the first time. Some people prefer single coil pickups with the deep hollow bodies to give it a little more brilliance and the Mean 90s or Dream 90s would be good options. Finally you can go with one of the Retrotron models. The only one that I have tried is the Liverpool vintage alnicos, but I like those. They will get you closer to the Gretsch Chet sound.

You probably should change out all of the components -- pots, jack, switch, etc. Twang can fix you up with an easily installed harness and walk you through installing it.

Good luck. I always liked a JP.

It's just a standard 2 pup/4 control Gibby type schematic......pretty straight ahead stuff. I put GFS Mean 90's in mine and I like it a lot! I'm mainly a blues type player and I have a metal bridge and regular strings on it as opposed to a wooden bridge and flatwounds,but it still gets plenty Jazzy for me. The GFS 59's would also be an excellent choice for the JP IMO. I would definitely replace the pots,caps,jack and switch while you are at it as well. Just a word of caution, if you have never re-wired a hollow body it does take some patience and skill to get the controls in and out of the guitar cleanly. A pre-made harness will make it much easier for a novice.

I should have mentioned, I have a Gretsch 6122, so I am not really after that Gretsch sound in this endeavour. Not really an issue in this case.. I just really like plunking on the Pass model is all....

I have never done one, so for sure I will be checking out the posts on the board here in advance. It does not seem to be rocket science, but on the other hand I figure it may not be easy, (can we spell patience?) but if I have it all organized with a template and pattern in advance it'll make it easier.

Oh yeah and a bit of finger crossing and a few hail Marys..... a shot from a tranquilizer gun, maybe a few choice expletives along the way too - you know how it works....

I should have mentioned' date=' I have a Gretsch 6122, so I am not really after that Gretsch sound in this endeavour. Not really an issue in this case.. I just really like plunking on the Pass model is all....

I have never done one, so for sure I will be checking out the posts on the board here in advance. It does not seem to be rocket science, but on the other hand I figure it may not be easy, (can we spell patience?) but if I have it all organized with a template and pattern in advance it'll make it easier.

Oh yeah and a bit of finger crossing and a few hail Marys..... a shot from a tranquilizer gun, maybe a few choice expletives along the way too - you know how it works....

[/quote']

Actually a little bit of patience,some string,a good template and a little luck is really all it takes.......and leave the Beer for the after celebration too! A common mistake is to forget the string ground connected to the tail piece......you don't wanna have to go back in for that so make a note of it. There are a few good videos on youtube that give you a step by step as well. Best of luck!

Archived