Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Deluxe VS vs. Elitist Dot

rabies

So now I'm considering this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-DOT-Deluxe-Flametop-Semi-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=512456

I owned a regular stock Epi Dot for a while and sold it for several reasons.

I'm getting tired of waiting for an Elitist Dot to "become" available anywhere. And the Orville Dots are pretty expensive and ship from Japan.

So how much upgrading do you guys usually do on these Dot Deluxe guitars?

'57 Classic alnico-style pickups?

are these real pups or the copies on cheaper guitars? I didn't like the pups on the Epi Dot I had.

then there's the long neck tenon potentially on an Elitist Dot, bone nut, etc...

But for the price, look and reviews, it seems like I should snag one up as they're still in stock @ MF...

I got GAS pretty bad for a semi-hollow archtop that can cover jazz, blues and rock (the AF125 ibanez I just bought can't do that! so I'm returning it to MF)

As someone who owns both I think I can comment on this.

Nope. No way does the dot compare to the elitist. However, it is a very good guitar (like all dots). I upgraded the pickups on mine (SD Phat Cats) and replaced the switch. I'm extremely happy with it.

However, the elitist dot is truly a gem. It is much closer to the Gibson 335 than it is to the regular Epi Dot.

Keep the faith. Don't give up. At some point in time you will have the opportunity to get the elitist. And when it comes, jump all over it. As any elitist dot owner will tell you it will be the best guitar purchase you ever made.

I have no experience with the Elitist, but do have the Dot Deluxe and like it very much. It has highly figured wood. It is not the level of my Gibson ES-345, but it cost far less and I feel like I can travel with it and take it to school (I teach autistic children) without concern.

Nope. No way does the dot compare to the elitist. However' date=' it is a very good guitar (like all dots). I upgraded the pickups on mine (SD Phat Cats) and replaced the switch. I'm extremely happy with it.[/quote']

I put the same p/u's in my Dot, also changed the pots, wiring, switch, etc. and couldn't be happier. The difference in sound, tone and sustain is well worth the cost. That said, I'm still thinking in a couple of years that it just might be time for a Gibby 335.

• 4 weeks later...

As an owner of both, Epi Dot and Elitist 63 335 Dot, they are symilar but not really.

The Elitist is much heavier and the whole thing feels and sounds different.

Modifying the Elitist: I put Gibson covered 57' Classics in and NOW it sounds beautiful.

Changed the Stop Tail to a GOTOH Aluminum..and next the wiring to a MOJO set for 335.

Moding the Dot : I put the Elitist pups in and WOW! Put a nut and plastic saddles.

Archived