Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior Combo V3

yamatsuka

It sure is loud. And am just starting to turn it up.

V3/VJr. tone tip of the day: Turn it up...' date=' way up (2 o-clock to max) to drive that power valve into the bliss range![/b']

...after you break it in properly, of course. Use your guitar/pedal volume pots to tame the volume back down to where you want it, but leave VJr. cranked for its optimum happy-spot tone.

When you use this approach, depending upon the style music you play, you may want more warmth and less brittle crunch (and/or clean headroom). A simple tube upgrade swap and you're right back in business.

Can't believe the power from "just"5 watts.

5 watts but single ended -- that's roughly equal to 15+- push/pull and look at how many15 watters are used as a common gigging size. Use a larger speaker or a 2x/4x cab for even a touch more "apparent" volume or mic it for larger venues.

Hvae a blast and WELCOME to the V3 owners' club!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Five watts in a tube amp is a lot more potent than most people would think. In order to have twice the perceived output level, you'd need a 50 watt amp. That said, take it into a band setting with a loud drummer and bass player, and you'll instantly see how "not loud" it actually is.

I've not held back my criticism of this amp's stock tone...I think it's awful, and so much less than the amp is capable of, but it seems to work for some.

5 watts but single ended -- that's roughly equal to 15+- push/pull and look at how many15 watters are used as a common gigging size.

This isn't true. 5 watts is 5 watts, and 15 watts is 15 watts, regardless of what flavor the amp is that's pushing it out. I'm not sure where this myth came from, but I have heard it before.

Here's a possibility of the birthing of the misunderstanding...class AB amps have at least two tubes that alternate pulling the load. They cycle to full power and down continuously. Class A amps have the tube(s) working full power all the time. You turn the amp on, even with the volume at zero, and the tube is working as hard as it will ever work. Cranking the volume and mashing a power chord changes nothing in terms of that tube's work load. It's working full power ALL THE TIME, regardless of input signal and regardless of output level.

That doesn't mean that a tube that's bound by physics to produce no more than 5.7 watts is ever going to produce 15 watts, however. Again, we have to remember that, in order to produce twice the perceived output as a 5 watt amp, you'd need a 50 watt amp. You're barely going to notice the difference between 5 and 15, except with increased clean headroom, which is where a 15 watter is going to be a far more gig-worthy power output than 5.

Archived