Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning concerns or maybe not

Macquarrie

I just "tuned" my new Riviera through a Korg electric tuner. My concern is the E string on the top. It seems to be considerably tighter then the other strings. I can move the other strings, bending I guess is the description, but the top E string barely moves. Also when I strum all the strings at the same time the E string stops vibrating well before the others.

The tuner shows there all tuned but the other strings have what looks like a # symbol after the letter for each string, except the top E string. I have no idea of what I'm doing as you can probably tell so all the advice is very welcome.

Thanks,

Mac

the low e string.

ok. first are the strings new, or did they come on it?

old strings lose their tension. they feel harder when you play them.

so that could be part of it.

# means sharp.

you're not intonated.

but it's fairly likely that you're not getting a good reading off the low E string anyway.

The Low E string, the thick one *S*, (don't mean to be insulting, just clear), will feel tighter generally, but it shouldn't be as

noticeable as it appears from your post.

So..what I'd do if I were you is look up gibsons specifications for set up.. google gibson set up instructions.

you'll probably find a few sites.

go through all of it.

Take your time. and read it all. and then you should have an idea of what your problem is.

do get new strings if you haven't yet.

I'd try .010s to start with.. it probably has that guage on their already.

Any good brand for electric will do.

Even some cheap ones aren't bad!

You can set the intonation.. that means getting rid of that #-ness.. by adjusting the bridge saddles backward or forward.

You want to loosen the string before you move the saddle.

I loosen them, then lift the string off the saddle.. then adjust. then put the string back and retune.

But DO read some urls on how to set up and intonate your guitar. it's invalueable information, you'll use it all your playing life.

Gibson has some great info for this!

TWANG

And, don't forget to lube the nut (with graphite or #2 pencil lead), when you change strings. Might even try that,

before...as that has helped a LOT, in some cases. I did it to my Riviera, and it made a world of difference...just doing

that, alone. When I (finally) changed strings (I'm "thrifty" AKA "Cheap/Poor"), it was even better. But, I can't stress

enough, for using pencil lead or graphite powder, in the nut slots. All you have to do, is run a finely shapened pencil lead down the slots, prior to changing strings....keeps them from binding/sticking. Might need to (very slightly) widen

the slots, too...if just the lead/powder doesn't do it? If you're not familiar with how to do that, take to to someone

who IS! Won't cost much, at all. And, can make a world of difference, truly.

CB

Wow thanks for all the info. The strings came with the guitar and are new, they have stretched a little since I got it. I will check out the available info on the web and make the adjustments. The graphite suggestion sounds pretty good as well. Thanks both of you for your help.

Mac

the low e string.

ok. first are the strings new' date=' or did they come on it?

old strings lose their tension. they feel harder when you play them.

so that could be part of it.

# means sharp.

you're not intonated.

but it's fairly likely that you're not getting a good reading off the low E string anyway.

The Low E string, the thick one *S*, (don't mean to be insulting, just clear), will feel tighter generally, but it shouldn't be as

noticeable as it appears from your post.

So..what I'd do if I were you is look up gibsons specifications for set up.. google gibson set up instructions.

you'll probably find a few sites.

go through all of it.

Take your time. and read it all. and then you should have an idea of what your problem is.

do get new strings if you haven't yet.

I'd try .010s to start with.. it probably has that guage on their already.

Any good brand for electric will do.

Even some cheap ones aren't bad!

You can set the intonation.. that means getting rid of that #-ness.. by adjusting the bridge saddles backward or forward.

You want to loosen the string before you move the saddle.

I loosen them, then lift the string off the saddle.. then adjust. then put the string back and retune.

But DO read some urls on how to set up and intonate your guitar. it's invalueable information, you'll use it all your playing life.

Gibson has some great info for this!

TWANG[/quote']

Archived