Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Around Here Have Problems with Their Ultra II NanoMags?

AlifesonMark

Hey Folks,

I was intrigued with the Ultra II after seeing Rush this past summer (AL used a modified Gibson LP w/ stereo output - he'd play both electrical passages and acoustic part with same guitar).

So I found a little used Ultra II - I checked out. The price jump this past September cooled my intentions of new one.

After about three days of playing, I got a loud hum and then silence from the Nanomag.

I opened it up and there are no apparent fired wires. There is a break in continuity on the nanomag circuit.

Have any of you fine readers had similar experience? Now I'm thinkin' that the couple hundred I saved by going 'previously owned' would have sufficed a healthy warrantee.

MS

Hi Mark,

The Ultra II's issues affected new "out-of-the-box" guitars from the start. I tried 3 of them as soon as they hit the market and not one of the nanomags worked. I actually posted a remark to that effect here somewhere, but at the time, no-one had any idea what I was talking about.

BTW: Rush kicks ***! I've seen them 11 times since '81 (4 in the last 2 years) and while I play nothing like Lifeson and don't own any of their CDs, I think they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen and I never miss them when they're in my area. If you don't already have it, check out the "Rush In Rio" DVD. You won't be disappointed.

Hey FlyingFrets,

Man, that’s got to be a frustrating situation, particularly now that they’re marketing this guitar as an $800 piece. I’ve emailed Gibson service about this issue and asked them about a ballpark figure for a fix on my own dime. I might run it up to the Guitar Center a couple miles away for their appraisal. I’ll be patience and see how this plays out, but if it starts to get too deep into my pocket, I might just pull the plug on this deal, cut my losses, & put it on the auction block. I’ve never played an Ultra I, but w/o the Nano – I dunno, my LP Studio has hotter pickups than the U2. You reach a point of overkill.

You’ve got me beat on Rush attendance, but I go when I can. I’ve gone to the last two touring seasons that Rush passed thru town, both in support of Snakes and Arrows. Last year, I had the impression that I was at a Yes concert with all the gear AL had on stage – LPs, PRS’s, Telecaster, acoustic twelve string, mandolins and the classic ES-355. The most recent concert, AL had just two LPs (including the modified gimmick I mentioned above). He brought out the 355 for the encore. And you’re right, RnR is a great DVD.

Nic,

Oh you betcha, several times. Every battery I put into the U2, I put on the multi-meter first. Nothing under 8v went inside.

Thanks

Archived