Gibson Brands Forums

LP BFG

P.L.E.

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in the Les Paul BFG for a while now and before I make any decisions on it I would like to know from anyone who has experience playing what it is like to own for a while. I mean I've played it at a certain guitar store and it played fine, but you can't really gauge a guitar after 30 minutes of playing. If anyone can tell me more about it and it's pros and cons, please let me know!

Hey there,

I've got one and love it. Looks awesome and sounds incredible. Not quite the 'flamethrower' that Gibson would have you believe, but still as meaty as you like! Only problem I had was the killswitch, everytime I played live I would hit it with my hand and cut the sound out. Asked for advise on this forum and just turned it round a 1/4 turn. and now no problemos.

But don't hesitate to buy it if you like it. A lot of people aren't keen, but whatever floats your boat - certainly floats mine!

Love mine too,

Just make sure you play and see as many as possible, they do vary quite a bit especially in appearance. One may be pretty much solidly uniformed as my burst is. (very little "wear") And as Robster said, they aren't flamethrowers. But the pickup combo is great and quite versatile IMO.

I have one... it's my favorite guitar right now. plays great, pickups are sweet and I like the beaten to hell unfinished look. From what I've read in the month that I've been here, most Les Paul purists HATE the look, but no one has really said anything else negative about it. My only complaint is the kill switch, I like the concept, but to me, it was impractical so I rewired mine. Slimjimdom is definitely right about the variation in appearance, mine is a little rougher on one side and the finish didn't take as well to it. If you don't mind the looks of it, it's definitely a great guitar. Hey, it was the most affordable Silverburst I could get. I'll agree with Robster, it's no flamethrower, but it looks like it survived a fire.

How the h*ll do you do that?

So' date=' when you play a normal LP, you always smack it into the bridge pup?[/quote']

I've been trying to figure out the same thing.

My best guess is very low slung guitar tilted up puts the killswitch right in line of a wildly swinging pick hand.

Absolutely right! Guitar is low and the hands are wild..... Is the 1st proper LP I've ever had, so a switch there is a new thing for me. The pic is of me and my trusty Epi which had the pickup selector at the bottom, so there was never a problem before.

Archived