Gibson Brands Forums

OK, i'm behind the times.....what is NATO mat'l ?

Bender 4 Life

A while back I was trying out a 12 string @ GC, GREAT tone, GREAT action,Great price !!

I was about to take it to the register, when I noticed that the company name was raised from the

headstock material.

Upon close inspection, and a few attempts to scratch an inconspicuous spot, I came to the (hopefully wrong)

conclusion that this wonderful 12 string, had a high impact plastic neck !!

Was I having a flashback of some kind, or is this what NATO mat'l is?

I'll be sitting here wearing my "dunce hat" awaiting a reply.

and i'll probably end up buying that guitar before it's all said and done, plastic neck or not it sounded fantastic.

basic description:

Nato wood, also known as Eastern Mahogany, is a reliable, strong wood used on guitar necks. It is a value-priced wood used more for beginner instruments. However, it still embodies all of the properties of more commonly used mahogany.

lots of threads on the subject; here's a typical one:

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119872

I have a LH Yamaha like this:

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/FG413SL.htm

it's a very good guitar...

I am of the understanding that 'Nato' is a non-specific hardwood of some species of mahogany or other like wood. It's neither a bad thing, nor a grand thing, just a thing. It's servicable and gets the job done. It has a name that sound exotic but really isn't.

Thanks for the info .......I looked that particular guitar up online, and the acou/elec version I was playing

says, "Solid Sitka spruce top, mahogany sides and back" and no mention at all about neck mat'l.

I still SWEAR it was ABS plastic!

The Acou ONLY model lists "Solid Sitka Spruce top, Mahogany sides/back, laminated mahogany neck"

I think thats the 1 i'm gonna go with when our tax return comes in.

Once again......thanks for the info, and thanks even more for not flaming my dumb a**.

I'm not terribly concerned with woods anymore... my Martin has an HPL body, micarta fretboard, and a Stratabond neck... I can't tell the difference (other than cosmetically) between it and another one that costs three times that.

I'm certainly glad it has an HPL body... if it didn't, I'd probably have a hole through it by now with all the knocks it's taken.

Thanks for the info .......I looked that particular guitar up online' date=' and the acou/elec version I was playing

says, "Solid Sitka spruce top, mahogany sides and back" and no mention at all about neck mat'l.

I still SWEAR it was ABS plastic!

The Acou ONLY model lists "Solid Sitka Spruce top, Mahogany sides/back, laminated mahogany neck"

I think thats the 1 i'm gonna go with when our tax return comes in.

Once again......thanks for the info, and thanks even more for not flaming my dumb a**.[/quote']

I dunno but mat'l could be ''matt lacquer''.#-o

• 4 weeks later...

Bottom line is...

We,ve chopped down all the trees and even with international treaties on rare plants and woods,we need to get used to the idea of more unusual type of woods and even plastics for bodies and necks.

I have "a n other" 12 string and that had a "plastic" neck and fretboard.

however,I polished it up with some beeswax polish for a high class furniture store and it feels really good.

Tones not bad either =D>

RALPH

Archived