Gibson Brands Forums

Change

newlife15

Hey All,:)

Just brought my Sheri to the Luthier who does woek on it and I am changing the stock pickups to 57's.

one classic and one classic plus. Also getting a Bone nut the the guy makes from his shop. He is also setting the guitar up and putting some 11's on it. Any thoughts, or comments would be appreciated. what might I expect when I get the guitar back? I mean it sounded nice with the stock pickups but any Idea what I am in for with the upgrade?

Also, what aftermarket pickups might anyone recommend for my Dad's Joe Pass Model?

thanks for the help :-)

Newlife.........=D>

The 57's ought to really breathe some life into it. I swapped to gibson humbucks, les paul custom .. I think they were 490r and 498t..?.. been

awhile, some years ago and it was a very strong difference.

Later I went to a 500t for a little more treble.. but wound up going to p90s in the end.

So it's still going to be a matter of taste. but, I think the 57's will make you very happy.

You'll definately have a smoother low end, and better overall balance compared to the epi stock pups. And the 57, though a warm pup, will give you highs you'll be very happy with as well, less harsh as I recall.

I can't say you'll hear anything with the bone nut, but that's been the standard material for many years for a reason.

The .011s will take a bit of getting used to.. but I just put them on my lp some time ago, and I've been very happy to hear the difference in tone,

and though I keep .010s on my sheri for the slightly easier bending etc. *well ok.. because sometimes I get a bit lazy and then the .011s

have to be practiced with a while again*, I like the .011s best for tone.

If your dad is jazzer.. the pass being made for one!.. I think you want to stick with vintage output pups, alnico magnets.

Beyond that, just look at what Joe used if that's your dads interest.

If he uses it in a more varied way.. a little jazz, a little blues.. a little rock.. etc.. then you'd want to push toward that.

At any rate, Gibsons definately got a pickup for it.

TWANG

I dropped a set of Stew Mac 'Golden Age' into my 2007 Dot.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5403

Amazing pickups. I wasn't convinced that the guitar was good enough to justify the expense of '57s (actually, I still think that way) - but the Golden Age p'ups really brought it to life.

Archived