Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic top question

GeeMan

I've read this on some other forum that a select spruce top is actually plywood? Is that true?

Yes. If it's only stated as a "select spruce" top that's marketing-speak for a "laminated" (or plywood) top. Occasionally you'll come across "select solid spruce" top...these are solid, not laminated.

Mr. Nelson

Yes. If it's only stated as a "select spruce" top that's marketing-speak for a "laminated" (or plywood) top. Occasionally you'll come across "select solid spruce" top...these are solid' date=' not laminated.

Mr. Nelson[/quote']

Thanks Mr. Nelson for clearing that up for me. I guess no AJ-100 or DR-100 for me!

Based on what I've heard trying out various models I would definitely avoid the laminate topped guitars. The top seems to be the overwhelming determiner of the tone and volume of the guitar so I wouldn't worry too much about laminate sides or backs but I wouldn't buy one with a laminate top. The good news is that Epiphone puts out the 200 series (AJ 200s and DR 200s) with solid spruce tops at incredibly low prices. Be sure and look for the "s" after the model number. It designates a solid top.

Spyders

Laminate just means that the sound you hear today is the sound you are always going to hear, there are very many great sounding laminate guitars out there, of course solid tops are better because they just sound nicer down the road if its played a lot. So I am not sure that I would call it plywood, only because plywood has the grains running opposite to each layer where as laminate tops generally have the grain running the same direction. So pick what sounds great to you and don't worry yet if its a solid or laminate until you become good enough to know the difference and to be able to feel and understand the difference, good hunting.Ship

Laminate just means that the sound you hear today is the sound you are always going to hear' date=' there are very many great sounding laminate guitars out there, of course solid tops are better because they just sound nicer down the road if its played a lot. So I am not sure that I would call it plywood, only because plywood has the grains running opposite to each layer where as laminate tops generally have the grain running the same direction. So pick what sounds great to you and don't worry yet if its a solid or laminate until you become good enough to know the difference and to be able to feel and understand the difference, good hunting.Ship[/quote']

And you don't have to worry so much about temp, & humidity!!

Laminate just means that the sound you hear today is the sound you are always going to hear

Actually' date=' I think there is more to it then that. Provided that the manufacturer doesn't put too thin of a piece of wood on the top, a solid top will typically provide better projection, more volume and better tone than a laminate and as pointed out, it will typically sound better and better as it ages. When I bought my AJ 200s, I tried many different models including an ej 200. I did all of this without knowing whether any of these guitars were solid tops or laminates. Among the inexpensive guitars the AJ 200s sounded better (and louder) to my ear then any of the other moderately priced guitars. It was only later that I found out that the one I picked had a solid top and most of the others had laminate tops.

So I don't think there is any doubt that under most circumstances, a solid top is going to sound better then a laminate top. That being the case, why wouldn't you seek out a solid top?

Spyders[/color']

...That being the case' date=' why wouldn't you seek out a solid top?

Spyders[/quote']

Solid or Laminate: one of the many choices we get to make as guit tar purchasers. Some totally dis' laminate tops for purely egalitarian reasons.

One afternoon I had the opportunity to spend time in my local Gibson / Epi dealer's acoustic guit tar humidor. I played bettern' $30,000.00 worth of acoustic guit tars that afternoon. Mostly Gibsons, one Martins, and a couple Taylors. Only two sounded as good or better, to my ears, as my venerable, some would say, "POS, plywood topped pacrim built," FT145SB. The AJ and the Hummingbird were the only two that held a candle to 'Epi.'

Archived