Gibson Brands Forums

SG without a pickguard

duane v

I'm deciding to put more time into my SG, but since having the pickups re-done, I don't like the way the pickguard looks (it had to be modified). So I took it off and it looks pretty cool when I blur my eyes, but I would like to fill the pick guard holes... I know some of the later year SG's have the larger PG's that cover about 30% of the body, but I don't really like those, even though it would make life easier, but I do want to show off the light brown finish, because it's really nice.

I've read about these things call microballoons that are supposed to work really well.... Has anyone here experimented with these??

Duane,

Where did you hear about it? It is new to me so I did some searching. All I could find was "Phenolic Micro Balloons".

It was described as:

"A lightweight, low-density epoxy filler. Not ideal for bonding, but good to mix with wood flour for lightweight fillets or used alone as a Bondo-like fairing filler ........"Micro Balloons" are exactly what they sound like---microscopic phenolic spheres, such that most of what you're mixing is air. Makes it super-easy to sand."

It is primarily, from what I have read, for boat repair.

Am I on the right track here or is there something else?

What about good old wood putty? (putty type for cosmetic purposes)

Cover individual hole area with masking tape. Cut small hole out with exacto knife. Fill, touch sand, remove tape

and finish......Practice on scap wood first for practice sake and color match. Either way it is difficult to hide small holes

without leaving evidence in the area around it.

Maybe some of the members that have changed their tuners and filled holes in the back of their head stocks

will know more. Easy enough to do on black using tooth picks or golf tees but tougher when it comes to other colors.

Check some furniture repair supply web sites. You might find putty sticks in a matching color that might work

easily. (sort of like a crayon) After all, it's only cosmetic.

Also, stewmac has wood filler putty. Comes in a tooth paste tube.

Archived