Gibson Brands Forums

What's the difference between the Epi Les Paul Std Plus top and Plain top?

Sinb

the ONLY difference is that one uses a thin sheet of plain maple to veneer the cap, the other uses a thin sheet of flamed maple to veneer the cap.

The *actual* price difference between a thin veneer of plain maple vs a thin veneer of flamed maple is a couple bucks at best!

yep, it's just cosmetic preference. To me, $100 more for flamed mape is worth it because i prefer the look. But others prefer plain maple.

If we were talking a SOLID top of maple, then the flamed top is definately more expensive to make (due to the cost of the wood). But with Epi's, it's purely what you prefer =D>

Have any of you guys actually bought a piece of flamed maple veneer big enough to cover a guitar body? Trust me, epi doesn't make a huge profit off of the price difference. I was under the assumption that it was a maple cap with a veneer over it, in which case they aren't making hardly ANY profit. If that is wrong, and it's just a veneer on both, there is still a substantial price difference between a plain maple veneer and a figured veneer. As a cabinetmaker, we bought plain veneers by the roll, where figured veneers were bought by the foot. For the price of enough flamed maple to veneer one guitar, you can get enough plain to do four or five.

As for the guitars, there is no difference other than cosmetic. Same electronics, same neck profile, same hardware. If you want a fancy figured top, you pay extra. Plain top, save a little. Solid black, save a little more.

Archived