Gibson Brands Forums

GFS Mean 90's

Gordy01

I guess it all depends what sound you're looking for. I have mean 90's in the bridge and neck position of my dot. I did it because I wanted a singlecoil and a humbucker guitar, and simply because I wanted a different sound. My impression is that they aren't very mean sounding or powerful, which is good to some and bad to others. I like them quite a bit and would say they're perfect for my blues sounds and mild stuff.

As far as neck vs. bridge, because there're a lot of people that have/ are thinking about getting one in only one position, I honestly could not choose one. I think the bridge is perfect for blues stuff I play, like howling wolf and elmore james.

The neck is louder for some reason, but I like this. It has great tone for a lot of stuff I like to play. A good example of this sound would be "your touch" from the black keys.

I got mine in the black nickel and they look very sweet. I did my own version of the "cheat" method and simply crimped the wire instead of soldering. In in under 10mins.

I've got them in an Epi LP studio and whereas I don't think they're too bad I also don't think they're all that great, either. They don't come within miles of the SD Phat Cats, IMO. The Phat Cats are more expensive but well worth it.

I have a number of guitars with various GFS pickups in them and, for the most part, really like GFS pickups. I just don't think the Mean 90s are anything to shout about.

I've got them in an Epi LP studio and whereas I don't think they're too bad I also don't think they're all that great' date=' either. They don't come within miles of the SD Phat Cats, IMO. The Phat Cats are more expensive but well worth it.

I have a number of guitars with various GFS pickups in them and, for the most part, really like GFS pickups. I just don't think the Mean 90s are anything to shout about.[/quote']

I've heard of Phat Cat pickups on the various forums, but never actually heard them.

Are they a fuller sound, or warmer or what?

Archived