Gibson Brands Forums

What is "B" or "2nd" imprint on back of head stock mean

RolandJ

There is the stamp "2ND" in the wood on the back of the headstock on my LP standard,I can find no flaws or issues with the guitar. I think that "B" means there is some factory finish flaw,,, so I wonder if the 2ND stands for second sale put on by a dealer, like Guitar Center from a returned new guitar or is it put on at the EPI factory and why? does anyone have any knowledge of these stamps?? thanks for any/all help, Ron

There is the stamp "2ND" in the wood on the back of the headstock on my LP standard' date='I can find no flaws or issues with the guitar. I think that "B" means there is some factory finish flaw,,, so I wonder if the 2ND stands for second sale put on by a dealer, like Guitar Center from a returned new guitar or is it put on at the EPI factory and why? does anyone have any knowledge of these stamps?? thanks for any/all help, Ron[/quote']

"2ND" means the unit was rejected for a cosmetic flaw (usually) but carries the full warranty.

I've heard of 2NDs being referred to as B-Stock, but have never seen an Epiphone stamped with a B myself. It doesn't nean Epiphone doesn't do this, just that I've never seen it in my own experience.

I've seen refurbished units or overstocks stamped with a R, though.

Maybe some of the other members can tell what their B stock was stamped.

Red 333

I have one' date=' too. It's a true factory 2nd, often sold as "B stock" at GC, etc.. Fully warranted by Gibson. They usually have minor finish flaws, some undetectable. That help? [/quote']

Exactly what Ron ad Red said. With "2s" seconds it's usually a very minor cosmetic flaw or maybe a discrepancy in the color, often undetectable and "B" stocks items are shop-worn or customer returns that didn't come back as pristine as they left. Either way they're warranted and can be very good values. Guitars marked "used" are guitars rejected by Epiphone for something serious enough that Epiphone doesn't want to stand behind a warranty for them...things like bad neck sets, misaligned bridges, neck twists, etc. The seconds are usually cosmetic or minor, easily repaired things where the "used" guitars usually involve something structural. "Used" guitars are often dumped off by Epiphone at auctions where less than scrupulous dealers buy them up, slap whatever parts they have to complete them and then sell them on E Bay with some concocted story and should probably be avoided though there are those who claim to have bought them with no problems....

Mr.Nelson

I cannot add anything to what the others have said other than to tell you that my ebony Sheraton 2nd looks nearly perfect to me. It took me a while to notice that perhaps there is a slight "wave" in the shiny ebony finish that can only be seen if you look at a reflection from a large light source such as the sky. I wish there were more 2nds for sale. I might never buy a 1st again.

Thanks to all for your help,I thought that it meant there was a minor cosmetic issue but wasn't sure, all in all a very good feeling / looking/playing and sounding guitar,love the rootbeer flame finish,I havn't seen many other standards in this color and now wonder if it a standard plus top? thanks again Ron

Archived