Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul 100 Pickup Selector

LesTalkMorePlay

Hello,

I've had my Epiphone Les Paul 100 for about 6 moths now (it's my first electric, but I've been playing for about a year or more now). About a couple months ago, sometimes I'd switch my selector to trebble setting or my bridge pickup, and it wouldn't make a sound. If I toggled with it a little switching it back and forth it would come back and it wouldn't do that again for about a week. Today for some reason It quit on me, which makes me believe it's the selector. I switch to Rhythm it's fine. Both pickups, it just sounds the same a rhythm. Trebble, it sounds like my volume is down to the 1st notch and I have 0 gain.

Can anybody shed some light? It'd be much appreciated!

Thanks Cale in NC.

Probably a bad switch, or possibly a loose wire. Take the back plate off the switch cavity... See if both sides are making contact with the contact point in the middle with the switch in the mid position. If not, you may be able to fix it by bending the outer connections in a bit... Search the forum, there are detailed threads about that, with pics if memory serves correctly.

Alternatively, see if you see a wire loose from the switch. If the hot lead for the bridge pickup is loose at the switch, you should see it. If you don't see a loose wire and it looks like the switch is making contact in both positions properly, then it may be a loose wire on the other end, at the pots.

It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with basic guitar wiring diagrams anyway, so I would search some out and find one that matches your guitar's pickup and control configuration. The more you understand the signal path from pickups to output jack, the easier it will be for you to diagnose problems like this in your instrument. Since you'll have it apart anyway, you might want to consider replacing the switch. It's not hard, and it's good soldering practice. A soldering kit should be less than 15 bucks at radio shack, and a switchcraft toggle switch should run about the same, 10 to 15 bucks. (besides, even if you screw it up royally, it shouldn't be too much work for a tech to go in behind you and fix it, no moreso than starting from scratch.) Good luck! Let us know what happens!

yep. most common fix is putting a bit more tension on the switches two long metal strips that make contact.

just pinch them in a bit with a needle nose pliers..

be easy with it.. then try it.. and repeat if needed, instead of trying to do it hard all at once.

I'd bet that's all it will take..

did mine a month after I got it.. no problems since.

tWANG

Problem solved. I opened up the back plate and switched it a few times and noticed that the strip for my bridge pup was slipping, it wasn't going all the way so the switch going past the strip. I took a little screw driver and pulled it outwards a little farther and sprayed some electronic cleaner in there and she's fine now. Thanks guys!

Archived