Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Prophecy: SG vs Les Paul

ramz_magnetic

Hey Ramz, welcome to the forum!

I own both the Les Paul and the SG version of the Prophecy GX series. I guess that sort of qualifies me to a least post a couple of opinions on the subject.

These are BOTH really wonderful guitars! Both are solidly built and beautiful to look at. They have all the appointments you would expect on a Custom: full binding, gold hardware (a turn-off for some, but I love it) and amazing flamed tops. The Dirty Fingers pups really roar. They can produce amazing clean tones with just the right amount of dirt in them, but can also handle a ton of distortion and never muddy up. The tone these things can produce is the real selling point for me. That being said, I also played the EX versions of these guitars and didn't like them. That's really only my issue with EMG pickups, however. They are just too harsh and metalic for my style of playing ... the guitars themselves were built just as well although I like the reddish black cherry flame better then the midnight ebony. The necks on both of these guitars are works of art. They are thin and fast. I love ebony as a fingerboard material and all Prophecy models have them. I was always resistant to SG's because of their wide necks. Prophecy necks are all 1.68 inches at the nut (very narrow) and 24 frets long (very long in the case of the SG).

Which one should you get? Now that's a REAL "apples vs oranges" kind of question. Les Paul's and SG's are such completely different guitars from each other. One is heavy and solid, adding to the tone and sustain, the other is thin and light by comparison and is somewhat brighter in tone. In my opinion, the LP is a more versatile guitar, but its really going to come down to your preferance as a player. I don't think you can go wrong either way with these guitars ... I highly recommend them both. Hope this helps a little ... good luck and have fun making your decision. Keep us posted when your own HNGD happens!

MIDI

I know guys ... still the same tired Christmas pic ... gotta take some new ones!

ProphecyTwins.jpg

thanks for the reply MIDIMan56. those are really nice, i like how the gold hardware looks on the red.

in a couple of days ill probably head down to guitar center and check these out. my only problem is they may not have them so if i try a les paul and an sg will the bodys be similar? the only major difference is the pickups and neck right?

thanks for the reply MIDIMan56. those are really nice' date=' i like how the gold hardware looks on the red.

in a couple of days ill probably head down to guitar center and check these out. my only problem is they may not have them so if i try a les paul and an sg will the bodys be similar? the only major difference is the pickups and neck right? [/quote']

If you get to play a LP Prophecy, you'll essentially have played the sams neck as the SG with the notable exception that the heel on the SG is lower (18th fret) and MUCH shallower. At first, the neck on the SG seemed a mile long to me ... full access to all 24 frets (not that I visit that neighborhood very often)!

MIDI

Not a very accurate statement IMHO.

For the OP' date=' I recommend you go for the better amp; it'll make a much bigger difference.[/quote']

Point taken, Ron ... an amplifier can make a HUGE difference. I, however, was addressing ramz's questions on the guitars themselves.

In my experience there have always been Les Paul players that hated SG's and vice versa. How could that be if they were the same guitar? I've always loved Paul's but could never get into SG's until I played this (admittedly non-traditional) Prophecy model. I feel that, in general, they are VERY different guitars.

MIDI

As well as a totally different look, the two guitars will have a different feel to pick up and play; and a different tone/resonance. Play both of them unplugged. If you pick a good Paul it will have a fat creamy tone and sustain whereas a nice SG will still have that sustain but more attack, a kind of snappier tone to my ears. The SG has super upper fret access and is much easier to move around on stage with. Both will feel different in your hands. If you prefer the look, feel and features of one over the other then buy that one. Sure, a good amp will make a major difference, but buy the guitar you prefer now and worry about the amp later. You can always trade in, or save up more and borrow a friends/buy a battery amp to tide you over.

Let's see - LP is VERY different from SG?

1) Both are Epiphone guitars made in China

2) Both are solid body guitars

3) Same pickups (at least' date=' in general)

4) Same neck

5) Same hardware

More same than different........[/quote']

I suggest you actually try to PLAY the two guitars and then tell me how "the same" they are, Ron.

"In 1960, Gibson Les Paul sales were significantly lower than they had been in previous years, so in 1961 the model was given a completely new body style that was thinner and had two sharp cutaway horns that made the upper frets more accessible. The neck was slightly heavy, which made it tilt downwards. The neck joint was also moved up about three frets. It was felt the new design could compete with the popular Fender Stratocaster, another benefit being lower production costs than that of the previous model due to the one piece body and flat top. The guitar was advertised as having the "fastest neck in the world", due to its slender neck profile and virtually non-existent heel. The newly-designed Les Paul was popular but Les Paul, whose endorsment was initially carried over from the previous version, did not like the new design and asked to have his name removed from it. Gibson renamed the model the "SG" which was short for "solid guitar". Even though Les Paul's name was officially removed from the model in 1961, the plastic Les Paul nameplates (positioned between the rhythm pickup and fingerboard) were in abundance in the Gibson factory and SG models having these nameplates were built and sold by Gibson up to the end of 1963."

I guess Les thought they were sorta different, huh?

MIDI

i agree with ron g on the fact that you will need to try them both. it all comes down to how the one you pick feels. i loved the way the lp felt and got it over the sg.

i also, agree with get the one you like. there are only "i should have's or why did i's" when you compromise too much. save up for the better amp if the lp is what talks to you.

on a side note, midi i had to return the first lp due to the binding on the heel of the neck missing. it should have been there. it was also not the correct color on the body and neck. it was cream, not white. the local gc got another from another location to exchange for the defective one i had.

i agree with ron g on the fact that you will need to try them both. it all comes down to how the one you pick feels. i loved the way the lp felt and got it over the sg.

i also' date=' agree with get the one you like. there are only "i should have's or why did i's" when you compromise too much. save up for the better amp if the lp is what talks to you.

on a side note, midi i had to return the first lp due to the binding on the heel of the neck missing. it should have been there. it was also not the correct color on the body and neck. it was cream, not white. the local gc got another from another location to exchange for the defective one i had. [/quote']

Wardog: But you did get it replaced, right? I remember how happy you were when you picked it up a few of weeks ago. You have to wonder where that "strangely bound" one came from. Glad you're back in business.

Ron: Ramz's post was asking for opinions, wasn't it??? I think I was pretty adament that both models were great and that I didn't think he'd go worng with either one. I did make the one statement about LP's being the more versatile of the two IMHO, but, my entire post was nothing but opinion ... just as any review really is. I dunno, I guess all the **** waving in this forum has left me a little sensative. I hope the guy gets a guitar he loves and will be happy with for years to come.

MIDI

Archived