Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Silverburst question

pfj

Hi everyone,

Over the last few days I have decided that I would like an Epiphone SG G-400. I haven't really decided upon which model yet so would be grateful for any opinions or advice. However, was trawling ebay and came across this item.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180325186792#ebayphotohosting

It is being sold as new but to me the fretboard looks a bit worn/battered for a new guitar. Anyone got any opinions on this? My gut feeling is to buy one from a reputable dealer but at the same time this may be a perfectly good buy.

Im pretty much undecided between the SG G-400 with the 3 pups (although i hate the colour!) or just a standard SG G-400.

Help?

Generation Zero is correct. Unless you pick like a butterfly, that third pickup is ANNOYING. In addition, it really doesn't give you tonal advantages that justify it being in the way at all times.

I own a gibby sg deluxe with 3 mini-hb's and every time I dig in - DOINK - pick-o-chet off the middle pu. It is a great sounding axe...but I keep the pu selector on bridge 99% of the time

Thanks guys for all the quick responses! You've talked me out of the SG G-400 custom model. The colour (yuk!) is more of a major factor than the extra pup.

I've decided to settle for the standard G-400 model in cherry. There are a few used ones in good condition on Ebay i have put a bid on in order to save a few pounds. But if i'm not successful i have seen a few brand new online for around the £250 - £300 mark. I've had another good look at the 66 limited edition model on Ebay which i gave a link to and the more I look at it the more im not sure. The item description spelling and grammar is bad on it and I will go with my gut feeling and avoid.

D

Generation Zero is correct. Unless you pick like a butterfly, that third pickup is ANNOYING. In addition, it really doesn't give you tonal advantages that justify it being in the way at all times.

I own a gibby sg deluxe with 3 mini-hb's and every time I dig in - DOINK - pick-o-chet off the middle pu. It is a great sounding axe...but I keep the pu selector on bridge 99% of the time

Archived