Gibson Brands Forums

Sweep-Picking??? holy mother-of-pearl!!!!!

animalfarm

I can't stand it! I've GOT to open this topic!!! I'm using a post I made in another

Topic to start this one....

Man, I just LOVE this Forum. You can "accidentally" learn things in the most

unlikely places. Topic started the with a commentary regarding a G-400, including

mentioning "sweep-picking". My brain said: "WHY does this sound familiar? Better research

it...". I did, which led me to YouTube to watch a video or seven regarding the "art". INSTANTLY

a HUGE, BIG-AZZ lightbulb went off in my head (blew up, really) for a couple of reasons:

1. I just realized how a lead run that's been kicking my @ss over was played.

2. JUST A PLAIN FREEEEEKIN' IMPRESSIVE TECHNIQUE!!!!!! Scales, arpeggios, doodle-a,

doodle-a, doodle-a and all!

What hole have I been living in????? WHY hasn't someone at least MENTIONED this???

I SAW it executed, and I KNOW that I, TOO can do this!!!!! 100+ points for the G-400

price negotiation AND for the mention of the "SWEEP-PICKING"... Massively COOL!!!

cat05.gif

others05.gif

Actually, a LONG time. I sold off all my gear when I joined the Navy Submarine Service. Did acquire a Les Paul

in the Navy, took it underway, so was able to practice with Rockman X-100 ( no amps on subs, would

drive the Sonar Boys crazy). Left Navy, became focused on career, and music slowly was pushed back

to the rear. Was REBORN with the music bug in 2008, have advanced phenominally since

picking up an axe again. I just wonder now how would my playing be if I had continued during my hiatus?

My brain still remembers, my fingers still remember, and I am now in HEAVY learning Mode! Got

to make up for 15 years of lost time!!! I played in my share of bands before, and I find that YES, I CAN

STILL PLAY AT THAT LEVEL!!!!!

633570246357271046-captainmorgan.jpg

Thanks! I STILL have every Freak Bros. Issue, including the hard to find "#0" issue.

No idea why i save 'em, but I see they are selling on the 'net to collectors now. I

break 'em out every once in a while just for fun. The Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. Website

is www.freaknet.org.uk

frank03.gif

A bit off-topic at the end, but that's the beauty of forums - sometimes you

can get a"thread within a thread", still learn from what you see. Anyone's

input on Sweep-picking, other than start slow, etc. Where does a body go

for scales, patterns, etc? Yeah, I CAN search you-tube, 'net, do my own research.

Looking for input from one who DOES this technique.

Archived