Gibson Brands Forums

Advice needed re possible Samick LP purchase

wiggy

Hi

I've come across a rather nice Samick LP Heritage Cherry Burst in one of my local guitar shops. It checks out on the guitardaterproject site as built by Samick in July 1995

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

July 1995

Production Number: 6486

It looks and plays beautifully but I'm not 100% sure it's genuine as the Epiphone logo on the headstock goes straight across rather than sloping upwards (as per the other Korean one they have with a F serial number so I guess different factory and age). Also the Les Paul Model script slopes slightly down towards the G string post rather than perfectly between the tuner posts.

Fit and finish look superb and headstock looks correct shape plus knobs all seem to be where they should be.

Only other thing is the weight - it's heavy and I mean HEAVY. I'd say at least half again as heavy as my EE LP plus the weight seems to be in the area from the bridge to the end pin.

The pickguard is missing plus one of the tuner buttons has been repaired using grey epoxy and I'd guess the pups have been swapped as they sound too good to be Epi's plus the selector switch is probably a replacement as that feels really high quality.

Asking price is £199.00

Sounds like a good deal to me. LP's are SUPPOSED to be heavy (it's part of their charm/mojo/legend/history), and the tuners can be easily replaced if necessary. If it "looks and plays beautifully" and you like the way it sounds --- what more do you want? (BTW, Samick was making some very nice guitars in the mid-90's).

My concern is more about whether it's genuine to be honest. Mind you if it is a fake then Epi (and Gibson for that matter) should consider moving their production there.

My concern re the weight is not only how heavy it is, much heavier than any other LP (EPI & Gibson) in the shop along with the fact that it is all centred at the bottom rather than being balanced.

Epi logo matches exactly. LP script is a little thinner on the one in the shop and says Les Paul Model has snot green tuners plus Gibson on the trussrod cover but definitely in the ball park.

I'd say that it's a goodun.

Many thanks

You should read through that thread I posted and make sure. The LP-300 had a bolt-on neck. But that doesnt mean that Epi didnt use the same Logo, etc. on thier set-neck guitars at some point.

BTW, the thread is about someone looking to puchase an LP but suspects its a fake.

Archived