Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy this?

jamt

Hi

First time here. I have a Epi SG which I really like. Now I am looking at a Epi Standard Style. The store is very good and I have bought other things there. Anyways I am hoping to get down and see it this weekend. I am confused with the differences between this style with the Standard plus top, plain top and the studio. I thought the Standard only comes in black but as you can see the one I am interested in isn't. (what is that colour anyways?) It's probably a good deal and I hope it is a step up from my SG. Will I get a different sound from SG?

They say the guitar is in mint condition (no case) for $325 bottom line.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The guitar is here: http://guitarpics.webs.com/6.htm

Terry

The LP standard plus top comes with a flamed maple veneer top. The LP standard plain is similar but the top is just plain instead of flamed. All versions of the LP standard come in ebony (black) and sunbursts variations.

The LP studio is the same as the LP standard without body and neck binding, no trapezoid inlays and I think it comes without pickup covers. No flame top on the Studio either.

sweet looking guitar...think they call that amber and flame/plus top? I know I have seen a few and like that color.

$325 isn't a bad price for it either...that is if it isn't a B stock or 2nd or been damaged and repaired. Best go check it out and see how she feels and sounds

Capt

Flamed top = Tiger stripes visible in the wood finish. Looks like your guitar has this.

As for differences between the SG and the LP, the LP weighs more so you can probably notice that there is a nice resonance going on with an LP as you play (because there is more wood there). The SG, is very light in comparison, maybe 3 pounds lighter than the LP.

The necks on the ones I tested are different. The neck on the LP appears to me to be more rounded at the back, while the SG was more flat and less deep. Also, this happens to me when I switch to a different model guitar, that the frets are not there where you expect them to be and you need visual cues from the fret inlays to know where you are for the first couple of minutes. Don't worry, you will get used to the differences and you will probably like the LP more than the SG. In the end it all comes to personal preference, so you have to try a bunch of guitars until you find "The One".

sweet looking guitar...think they call that amber and flame/plus top? I know I have seen a few and like that color.

$325 isn't a bad price for it either...that is if it isn't a B stock or 2nd or been damaged and repaired. Best go check it out and see how she feels and sounds

Capt

Yup, that looks like a Standard plus-top in Trans-Amber (transparent amber, I suppose it is). Nice !!!

That is very good advice Marcelo..thanks

So what this guitar really is a standard plus because it has a flamed top?

Yup ...... same as the standard, but with the fancier looking flame maple veneer. I love the plus-tops, myself - got me a +top honeyburst a little over a year ago. Awwww, who am I foolin' ??? I love 'em all !!!

B-stock or "factory 2nd" guitars are -USUALLY- good guitars with a minor cosmetic flaw. I've played many Bs and most of the times couldn't even tell the difference.

If you can inspect the guitar first hand by all means do it. Pictures and descriptions are nice to start with, but nothing replaces an actual personal, first hand inspection of the instrument.

Archived