Gibson Brands Forums

Dot to Behringer EQ to Roland Cube to PA

timandbob

Okay, I am hoping for some help with sound. I have an Epi Dot Deluxe. I bought a Roland Cube 20x (sounds great BTW). I am getting ready to use it at a gig. So, I'd like to run the Epi out through the PA so I can properly mix the sound.

My set up as it stands is: Epi -->Behringer EQ (also to increase volumes for solos) --> Roland Cube 20x --> Yamaha passive mixer --> Mackie SRM450 active speakers.

When I hooked it up this way, I get a hum. Its more pronounced when I step on the Behringer pedal, but its there all the time.

Any ideas about what to do to eliminate the hum?

Thanks in advance.

How's it all plugged in?

You have to eliminate outside interference.. light flourescent lights ..

you could have noise due to improper grounding...plug the mixer and amp and speakers into a strip.. preferably something that helps with

noise.

you could be getting line noise from whatever room you've tested it in.. I've got one outlet in my living room that made me tear my amp apart twice!

TWANG

Break it down to the minimum configuration that doesn't hum. Listen to the amp (close with your ear next to the speaker) and determine if there's an audible hum when you are just plugged into the amp by itself. Add components until the hum appears again. Is the mixer board EQ causing the hum to be louder?

Try different cables. One might have a loose ground lug. If you have an ohm meter, check continuity while wiggling the plugs.

You might try plugging straight into the mixer board. There could be a ground loop problem between the amp and the mixer that is causing the hum. As Twang said, a miswired outlet that has the hot and neutral reversed or a loose ground could be the culprit. You can check this with a voltmeter. Read from ground to the large plug and you should get less than 2 volts, preferable 0. Read from the small plug in the outlet to ground and you should get 120v.

You can also read with the voltmeter between the chassis of the amp and the mixer. There should be no voltage read when you do that. If you read voltage between the metal parts of the two, there's an issue with the house wiring or the equipment itself.

And then, as someone said, there's the flourescent light syndrome.

And the other thing... You didn't specify if your guitar has humbuckers or single coils. The avatar looks like humbuckers. If you are using a single coil guitar, an epi with P90's, a little hum may be normal. The Roland Cube 60 has a noise gate. I don't know about the 20.

I have one of those pedals, and no matter what i did, I got a ton of white noise and DC hum. I ended up taking it out of the loop entirely. A noise gate may have helped to reduce the noise, but the disposable income has ceased to be. BTW, I wasn't using batteries, it was connected to a proper DC power supply.

I have one of those pedals' date=' and no matter what i did, I got a ton of white noise and DC hum. I ended up taking it out of the loop entirely. A noise gate may have helped to reduce the noise, but the disposable income has ceased to be. BTW, I wasn't using batteries, it was connected to a proper DC power supply. [/quote']Hmmm, I guess it could be the pedal. Would the pedal work in the "footswitch" input jack if I use an insert cable?

Archived