Gibson Brands Forums

What happened today, 45 years ago?

JefferySmith

So' date=' tell us what happened, with the Dylan concert....???

CB[/quote']I can only tell you what Nick told me... but it went like this:

Milwaukee, Nov 1964 Oriental Theater

There weren't that many people there.

Dylan came out a little late and immediately began *****ing about the sound and lights. He seemed pretty crabby. Finally, he played a song and *****ed some more about the sound.

He started another song then stopped again and *****ed some more.

He then told the audience to come up on stage and sit around him, which they did.

He started another song and Nick came on stage and told everybody they had to get off the stage because it was a fire hazard. He had to abide by the rules, he was the promoter.

Everybody went back to their seats, Dylan was pissed. He finally said something like "he couldn't play under the conditions" and walked off. That was the concert.

Sounds as good as the Doors concert in San Diego. They played one song, then "Light my Fire" and walked off stage. The audience started *****ing so they came back and played "People are Strange" and walked off. That was it. There were no problems with lights or sound, so I assume that Jim Morrison was too f***ed up on drugs to continue.

I can only tell you what Nick told me... but it went like this:

Milwaukee' date=' Nov 1964 Oriental Theater

There weren't that many people there.

Dylan came out a little late and immediately began *****ing about the sound and lights. He seemed pretty crabby. Finally, he played a song and *****ed some more about the sound.

He started another song then stopped again and *****ed some more.

He then told the audience to come up on stage and sit around him, which they did.

He started another song and Nick came on stage and told everybody they had to get off the stage because it was a fire hazard. He had to abide by the rules, he was the promoter.

Everybody went back to their seats, Dylan was pissed. He finally said something like "he couldn't play under the conditions" and walked off. That was the concert.[/quote']

This really doesnt surprise me. About 5 years ago I was working a second job as a stage/house hand when Dylan came to town. We were instructed to "not look directly" at the Dylan. Meaning that if we were to accidentally catch his eye while setting up, we would be sent home for the night. Okay. What a diva. Reba Mcyntyre was the same way. And Ian Anderson threw a sound-check hissy fit because the tables werent set up "just right". John Fogerty, on the other hand was awesome. He did an open sound-check and invited the entire staff to watch about five songs during set up.

Archived