Gibson Brands Forums

A Most Excellent Purchase!

L1Picker

But no, it's not a new guitar. I took my daughter out for the day and we picked up a receiver, turntable, and speakers at the flea market. And I started up my vinyl collection again with some stops at an antique store and some pawn shops...some great jazz and blues, and a few Chet Atkins LP's as well. I've got the Tommy Dorsey band playing now and I think it's just about time for a cocktail!

Lovin' it!

But no' date=' it's not a new guitar. I took my daughter out for the day and we picked up a receiver, turntable, and speakers at the flea market. And I started up my vinyl collection again with some stops at an antique store and some pawn shops...some great jazz and blues, and a few Chet Atkins LP's as well. I've got the Tommy Dorsey band playing now and I think it's just about time for a cocktail!

Lovin' it!

[/quote']I have a killer turntable. Empire 698, bought it new for $320 in 1974, which was VERY expensive back then considering most turntables were in the $40-$60 price range. Hell of a great turntable & built to last, probably forever.

I still use it regularly, the biggest priblem is finding good vinyl pressings but now many albums are being re-released on some very good pressings so I'll just have to pony up and buy some more new vinyl.

Yeah there's something about the sound of old vinyl on a good turntable. The only problem is I have to get off my lazy fat a$$ to change records, hence the CD player. I told my wife tonight she needs a girls night out so I can crank the sterio and my amp so I can have a man party. (I have a very loud sterio) It's more fun than band practice because I can play what I like LOL.

I've been thinking lately about the two crates of vinyl I have in my basement, records that haven't been touched in twenty years. Of course my wife has her crap (Neil Diamond, now, I ask you!) interspersed but I should have Cream's Chariot of Fire, Smithsonian Jazz, Miles Davis, old Peter Green Fleetwood Mac, all kinds of stuff down there.

I even went through a Flying Burrito Brothers phase. I was young then...

I think I would like to save it off in mp3 or similar format and perhaps burn some dvds.

I've been thinking lately about the two crates of vinyl I have in my basement' date=' records that haven't been touched in twenty years. Of course my wife has her crap (Neil Diamond, now, I ask you!) interspersed but I should have Cream's Chariot of Fire, Smithsonian Jazz, Miles Davis, old Peter Green Fleetwood Mac, all kinds of stuff down there.

.[/quote']Don't diss Neil...the man is a hell of a great singer and puts on a great show. Just don't go expecting to see any fancy guitar work.

I've been thinking lately about the two crates of vinyl I have in my basement...

I think I would like to save it off in mp3 or similar format and perhaps burn some dvds.

You may already know about this, but I didn't until yesterday. When I was looking for a turntable, one of my stops was the local Radio Shack. They had one turntable on their shelf, and it not only played like a regular turntable, but came with software and a USB connection to connect to the computer so you can direct capture the album as it plays and turn it into an MP3. Granted, this may be common knowledge to most, but it was all new to me. They wanted $100 for the turntable.

My biggest problem with turntables was the little diamond stylus (the needle). I bought a Sony stereo system in the late 80's and I used the turntable for a few months and the stylus became scratchy. I bought a new one for $50 and it again lasted for a few months. I was afraid of scratching up my records, so I stopped using the turntable,...then CDs caught on. I still have the turntable and the vinyl records. The stylus was supposed to be "diamond", I don't know what kind of diamond Sony uses, but it could not stand up to vinyl, which makes no sense as diamonds are the hardest substance on earth.

My biggest problem with turntables was the little diamond stylus (the needle). I bought a Sony stereo system in the late 80's and I used the turntable for a few months and the stylus became scratchy. I bought a new one for $50 and it again lasted for a few months. I was afraid of scratching up my records' date=' so I stopped using the turntable,...then CDs caught on. I still have the turntable and the vinyl records. The stylus was supposed to be "diamond", I don't know what kind of diamond Sony uses, but it could not stand up to vinyl, which makes no sense as diamonds are the hardest substance on earth.[/quote']Needles need to be cleaned. they also are very fragile, drop the tone arm or slap it across the record and you'll damage it or the shaft. And the more expensive the needle/cartridge the easier they are to damage as the shaft and tip are very small on expensive ones. I'm currently using a Shure V15 xMR cartridge which runs around $350 if you can find one.

I added a few more albums to the collection today. We made a family day out of cruising around looking for new vinyl' date=' and then came home and listened to it while playing Scattergories...fun times.

[/quote']I really need to buy some new vinyl while it's again being pressed, another 10 years and that will all be over with again as soon as the novelty with the public wears off.

Archived