Gibson Brands Forums

45 Years Ago Tonight...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!

charlie brown

My biggest memory of that night goes something like this:

The Ed Sullivan Show was broadcast on Sunday Nights' date=' so the next day it was back to school for little MIDI...boy! I was seven years old and in the second grade. This was a Catholic grammar school in the middle of New York City, by the way, complete with uniforms. Well everyone in school was talking about The Beatles ... especially the [i']older kids[/i] (the seventh and eight graders).

The really big surprise came later that afternoon when we went to Woolworth's (a now defunct chain of variety stores that was sort of the pre-cursor to K-Mart and the like). About 25% of the store's main floor was devoted to Beatles paraphernalia. Books, magazines, buttons, lunch boxes, wigs, shirts, school bags and, of course, records ... or at least, THE record.

It was the most amazingly coordinated merchandising blitz ever! In fact, the only time I think it was ever close to being matched was only a couple of short years later ... when Batman premiered on TV!

Looking back, these seem like such innocent times. Its funny to think how much everything would change in the remaining six years of that decade.

MIDI

Yeah, it went from "A Hard Day's Night," to "A Clockwork Orange!"...and beyond....unfortunately!

CB

I,d have to dig it out but I,m pretty sure that John "bought" the natural finish Ricky but never payed for it.

Getting it on "The never never".

Hire Purchase to the rest of us.

Whilst in Germany.

The black one was given to him by Rickenbacker.

I believe Paul got his lefty Ricky bass at the same time.

Again,this is all from my (very bad) memory.

Sources are "The Rickenbacker Story" and George Harrisons "I,ME,Mine" autobiography.

RALPH

I' date='d have to dig it out but I,m pretty sure that John "bought" the natural finish Ricky but never payed for it.

Getting it on "The never never".

Hire Purchase to the rest of us.

Whilst in Germany.

The black one was given to him by Rickenbacker.

I believe Paul got his lefty Ricky bass at the same time.

Again,this is all from my (very bad) memory.

Sources are "The Rickenbacker Story" and George Harrisons "I,ME,Mine" autobiography.

RALPH[/quote']

John's original Rickenbacker was "Natural" to begin with, and he bought and played it a LOT in Hamburg. He had it painted black, later and it was used on their first Ed Sullivan Show appearance. The second one "The Miami" version (so named, because it was used on the "Miami" telecast of the Ed Sullivan Show)...essentially the same model guitar, with a bit thinner body, smaller headstock, and funkier (non-bigsby) vibrato, was black to begin with. He also had a (black..."Jetglow") 12-string version, of that same guitar, sans vibrato, of course.

CB

Awww man' date=' I was born in the wrong decade for sure. I only wish that music hadn't changed so much that we have the (in my opinion) very bad stuff that we have today. The Beatles are as good as it gets.[/quote']

It's funny, you should say that...as I was at a venue, just the other night, and overheard a conversation, between

some "kids" (to me), in I'd guess their early 20's, say almost exactly the same thing, you just said, about the

state of music, these days. One even mentioned that he only listened to 'Classic' rock, especially "Beatles,"

"Stones," "Animals," and "Yardbirds!" (I thought to myself, that kid's got "taste!"...LOL!) But, in reality...every

era, has it's good and bad. But, the '60's and early 70's, were especially Great times, for Rock & Roll, there's no

doubt!

CB

My biggest memory of that night goes something like this:

The Ed Sullivan Show was broadcast on Sunday Nights' date=' so the next day it was back to school for little MIDI...boy! I was seven years old and in the second grade. This was a Catholic grammar school in the middle of New York City, by the way, complete with uniforms. Well everyone in school was talking about The Beatles ... especially the [i']older kids[/i] (the seventh and eight graders).

The really big surprise came later that afternoon when we went to Woolworth's (a now defunct chain of variety stores that was sort of the pre-cursor to K-Mart and the like). About 25% of the store's main floor was devoted to Beatles paraphernalia. Books, magazines, buttons, lunch boxes, wigs, shirts, school bags and, of course, records ... or at least, THE record.

It was the most amazingly coordinated merchandising blitz ever! In fact, the only time I think it was ever close to being matched was only a couple of short years later ... when Batman premiered on TV!

Looking back, these seem like such innocent times. Its funny to think how much everything would change in the remaining six years of that decade.

MIDI

Midiman56, I just PMd you, I think we grew up in the same neighborhood and we're the same age.

Awww man' date=' I was born in the wrong decade for sure. I only wish that music hadn't changed so much that we have the (in my opinion) very bad stuff that we have today.[/quote']

Quit complaining! Some of us had to suffer being young in the '80s. The decade that gave us the Gipper, not much peace & love, and (musically speaking) "very bad stuff" like this =D>

pic4.jpg

In '64 I was 14 and had been playing acoustic guitar for about 3 years, after seeing the Beatles that night I decided to get an electric guitar; I'd been thinking about it for awhile. I started playing bass guitar then, and a few years later in Germany bought a new Hofner bass like Paul's (for about $90). The Beatles provided the soundtrack of my youth.

Archived