Gibson Brands Forums

Which is a better buy!? = Epiphone Les Paul Made in China or Epiphone Dot Studio

JoeMTL

Guest icantbuyafender

im gonna say this, because i own a '02 LP standard plus top and an '01 LP standard classic quilt top as well as a Dot studio (worn brown)

Honestly compare the tag and compare the application, and above all else do not eye-shop.

try them out.

the studio dot is a tremendous bargain. it is a tonebox that has blues lovers' hearts melting, while retaining enough grit to kick some teeth in.

the LP @ about $400 is a whole hundred more. why? the finish is by far more protective than that of the dot's satin finish, and the tonal variety added by incorporating independent tone/volume pots for each pickup. and well, its a carved top LES PAUL.

the LP lends itself to easier modding like pickup and component swaps and it is more sturdy against abuse. the dot studio's large @$$ and thin finish make it a "ding-magnet" and id be afraid to picture how easily it could take a fatal fall w/o straploks.

in defense of the dot, i myself do not tread in the modding of semi-hollows and hollowbodies, so i could be wrong about modding.

for value, the Dot is by far the more obvious pick. This is a tonebox and unbelieveable value. sounds more syrupy than the regular dot.

the LP evens this out by the extra volume/tone pots providing the extra tonal variety needed to keep up with the dot studio, yet manage to get meaner louder and grittier than the Dot ever could be, AND the LP will not feedback nearly as much with gain up.

this comes down to you and your playing style and preference. if you are a first time semi-hollowbody buyer, the dot studio is all you need in your arsenal beside your other solidbodies and the like. also, practicing unplugged lets you hear the natural acoustics of the dot studio which are actually above what i thought they would be. it honestly sounds beautiful plugged in or not! plus the 100 you save can go toward a hardcase :P

so really, dot studio is my pick because it doesnt matter if you wait to buy a les paul, they will ALWAYS be around. the dot studio im not sure. at least not at the 250-300 price tag they have currently.

try them both out. let that decide.

just remember, the dot will need to be cared for... which is why i leave it at home when i hit the bar for a gig with the local improv blues outfit . i dont need to wake up hungover with a ugly crack in my dot studio. hahahah

damn, i didnt mean to write a novel.

is it ur first electric guitar?

why compare the studio to the lp.. isn't the regular dot priced closer?

they're all made in china.

The lp has it over the dot studio for controls and appointments.

I'd take a dot over an lp.. but I'd take semi over a solid all things being equal, if compelled to choose.

I might take the dot studio over that lp, too.

But then UNLIKE MARX

I'm not afraid I'll crack the world if I drill a hole.

tWANG

WOW, thanks guys and its actually my second electric guitar. I bought a 5102 epiphone japanese 70's for my first and regret it. It was a very impulsive move but After research realized its not worth tuning up and fixing up. So I decided to look into the dot studio and from what you told me, Ill start with that then move to a les paul or telecaster for a solid body ;-p

thank you!!!

Guest icantbuyafender
WOW' date=' thanks guys and its actually my second electric guitar. I bought a 5102 epiphone japanese 70's for my first and regret it. It was a very impulsive move but After research realized its not worth tuning up and fixing up. So I decided to look into the dot studio and from what you told me, Ill start with that then move to a les paul or telecaster for a solid body ;-p

thank you!!![/quote']

good to hear!

the dot is something you can use literally anywhere (being not that bad acoustically) and can really cover a broad spectrum. the control layout is simple, something everyone can appreciate at some time.

the les paul will always be there.

these dots are GEMS at the price theyre going for, and they can only sound better as the wood ages.

what color you thinkin?

Archived