Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a job I wouldn't take on..

TWANG

Oh, the horror. But I wouldn't say this guitar is a lost case after what happened to my Gibson Explorer 83.

Previous owner dropped it, so the headstock broke. He tried fixing it with glue but it eventually would break again and he'd try to fix it and so on.

One day he eventually quit and let the guitar in a closet for years, after which I bought it for almost nothing.

So I had a luthier fix it. Took him months but he eventually did the job. He said one of the things that delayed the job was that he had to take off lots of glue and wood, and cut new pieces of wood to glue everything back together.

After that, he found the exact color to refinish the broken part.

The neck looks brand new, and it feels very solid. I've gigged with this guitar a lot.

So I'm guessing a skilled woodworker can still save that Epi if he feels it's worh it.

Daniel

Daniel.. that pretty much describes what's going to have to be done on that one.

Wood is cracked and split.. splinters of wood missing..

then drilled full of holes.. that will have to be replaced...

it looks to me that some of the outer edges, that might have meshed together and left a fairly small seam, are gone.

so, yes, it would take a lot of work and very detailed work, I think.

And yeah, I think it's worth it.

I just don't know that I'd want to do it.

I'm looking though. And one of these days I'll catch an ebay fixer upper and give it a shot.

tWANG

I don't understand the $170 / $104 bids for this. I just came back from Guitar Center (which has an online presence) and they had a bunch of decapitated Epiphones on the floor that they were selling for $40 apiece! (I guess they accumulate some from shipping mishaps, some from people that come in to play the instruments, and in either case collect their value through insurance.)

Archived