Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP Custom bridge pickup problem

sakke

Hi,

I have an Epiphone LP Custom with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set in it (SH-2 Jazz model in neck and SH-4 JB bridge).

My amp is a Fender Vibro Champ XD .

I play blues-rock and metal. At least that's what i try to play 8-[

The problem i have is that the bridge pickup, the JB, sounds too harsh.

I tried lowering the pickup, reducing the tone knob a bit but it doesn't make any difference really.

Could it be that the JB itself is too harsh sounding or should i maybe replace the pots or what could be the problem ?

Any help would be really welcome =D>

Thanks in advance!

Hi sakke!

The JB has twice the output of a vintage PAF style humbucker.

I had this set in a Epi Les Paul Standard once and i did like it.

You're playing metal so this should be a good pickup for that.

Maybe the problem is the amp you're using, try to tweak the controls for a better sound.

Peter

Hi' date='

The problem i have is that the bridge pickup, the JB, sounds too harsh.

I tried lowering the pickup, reducing the tone knob a bit but it doesn't make any difference really.

Could it be that the JB itself is too harsh sounding or should i maybe replace the pots or what could be the problem ?

[/quote']

I've heard this complaint before(about the JB). Still, adjusting the controls should make a discernable difference.

Not saying the Fender is inadequate(I'm not familiar with it) but did you try another amp?

I've heard this complaint before(about the JB). Still' date=' adjusting the controls should make a discernable difference.

Not saying the Fender is inadequate(I'm not familiar with it) but did you try another amp?[/quote']

Hey, yeah at home I have a Marshall JCM 900 combo, sounded even more harsh, but that's what the JCM900 is known for , sounding harsh.

Hi' date='

I have an Epiphone LP Custom with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set in it (SH-2 Jazz model in neck and SH-4 JB bridge).

My amp is a Fender Vibro Champ XD .

I play blues-rock and metal. At least that's what i try to play :D

The problem i have is that the bridge pickup, the JB, [b']sounds too harsh.[/b]

Any help would be really welcome :)

Some Gibson LPs use 300K pots, which sets the value between 250k (Fender SC)

and 500K (Humbuckers). The 300K pot will provide a different load characteristic

in the operation range of the pot.

http://www.guitarpartsnow.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Gibson-300k-Pot-PPAT-300

Here's some more useful information on pot values vs tone etc.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/faqsfolder/faq3.html

Archived