Gibson Brands Forums

G-310 Pickguard from blank

Swoop

I really love the look of this Stratocaster, (below) with the white body and tortoise shell pickguard. I thought I might change the pickguard on my SG to a tortoise shell one, (my SG is also vintage white) like the Strat pictured. However since you can't seem to purchase a G-310 pickguard anywhere (the G-310 has the large pickguard, and does not have the bridege going through it, so there are fewer holes in it than a Gibson spec one), let alone one in tortoise shell, I thought I'd make my own from a blank sheet of tortoise shell material.

supersonic112_800x600.jpg

I was just wondering how to go about cutting it? Can I use a bandsaw to cut the material, and then sand the edges smooth, or is there some special way of cutting the pickguard material?

I figured I'd just use the original guard as a template, mark around it on the new material and cut it out. I've not yet seen a tortoise shell guard on an SG, and I think it will look awesome and unique.

Kia Ora, I'm thinking of doing the same. Putting a brown Tortoise PG on my SG, except mine is Ebony black. I've seen SG pickguards at Terrapin. http://www.terrapinguitars.com

but their pricey and mine needs to be custom-made since I have a non standard PU-configuration. So in all probability I'll try to score some pg material and cut my own. I found one source of the tortoise stuff and it's about 20 bucks. And yeah, that's pretty much it. Trace, cut, sand and polish. I use a jigsaw(don't have a bandsaw).

Cool, thanks for that. I don't have a bandsaw either, but I'll mark it all out at home, then take the material to school and cut it out with the bansdaw in the Wood room during my lunch time. Then I can shoot over to the Engineering class and use the drill press to drill all the holes.. I think I'll order the material this week and get started. Should be fun!

Check out a search for Jim Frets or You Tube. The guy took a spiral bit (like from a RotoZip) and put it in a Dremel. Then built some sorta jig to hold the Dremel upside down in in a bench vise. Instant poormans' router table. I've used Terrapin they're worth the money/difference in saved materials and avoided hassle. I'd be real hesitant about a jigsaw, maybe to rough the shape out but I'd final finish to the shape with a sanding drum in a Dremel. Even if you get the shape right the beveled edge is gonna be tricky if not impossible. (may not be so much of an issue on a solid but a ply is gonna show the variance in angle dimension. Have you contacted Terrapin yet to see if the pattern for the 310 is in stock? If somebody's already requested one that can pull the costs way down. Good luck on however you decide to proceed....

Wedgie

Like I said, I'm going to use a bandsaw. I agree, a jigsaw probably isn't the best idea, because it's a reciprocating motion, so it's probably a bit rough. But a bandsaw cuts in one direction only, so it's a lot smoother, and better for cutting ply materials. I'll probably have to use a jigsaw to cut the pickup holes though, because a bandsaw cannot get in there. At least if they don't turn out quite so well they'll be hidden by the pickups and trim rings. At present my pickups don't have trim rings, but I'm going to be fitting some humbucker sized P90 single coils, which come with thrim rings. I quite like the sort of vintage look of those, so I'm going to put them on. To cut the pickup cavities I'll just bore a large hole with the drill in the centre of where they should be, so I can fit the blade into that area, and cut it out. I'm not overly concerned about the bevelled edge, but the edge can quite easily be sanded to a taper by hand, it's just a matter of eyballing it so it looks even! Anyway it'll have a certain hand made qulity to it then!

I'm going to email Terrapin anyway and see what sort of price they give me, just out of curiosity. That's really the biggest factor that kills the Terrapin guard for me - the price. I have to take into account the cost of their work, the price of the material, the potential cost of setting it up if they have not made a G-310 guard before, the cost of shipping it to me here in NZ, and then the currency conversion! It could quite easily run into several hundred dollars, as opposed to under $100 and some of my free time if I do it myself. I've got the skills and access to the tools to do it successfully, so I don't see it as much of an issue. Even if I cock it up and have to make it three times over it's probably still going to be cheaper than buying a custom one, and I'll have the added benefit of being able to say that I hand crafted it myself.

Swoop it's been awhile since I got mine, (year or two), but I'm pretty sure I got the first G-400 '66 style guard they ever made. I sent them my original as a pattern and had it done in 5-ply, (B/W/B/W/#-o, along with a matching TRC. They also did one for me for a '62 style G-400 (pattern in stock). If I'm remembering right all of that was less than $100 including shipping with 3 other TRC's for good measure. I'd be surprised if their prices hadn't gone up, (what hasn't?) but just hit their website, look around at their work and the incredible array of what they can offer you and then pick up the phone and call them. I was extremely pleased with their work and I'm sure you will be too. I totally get and respect your wanting to do this yourself but for the cost of a perfect part made by CNC versus the possibility of making a mistake on some expensive plastic it's worth considering. One thing I really doubt that's changed is the turnaround time though, the guy stays so covered up with orders expect a bit of a wait. There is a reason for that though, he's that good. The difference between the stock Epi piece and the Terrapin was Night and Day difference. Good luck with your project whichever way you decide to approach it. You might try StewartMcDonald for your material if you haven't already located some.

Wedgie

As far as the edge, I don't think hand sanding is the way to go. If you have access to a wood shop, here's how I would do it.

First, trace your existing guard onto a piece of wood, preferably something 3/4" thick or thicker, and one ply is better than plywood if you have something like MDF available. Trace the pickup rings and screw holes onto the wooden template too. Cut this template out on a band saw, making sure that you stay as tight to the outside of your line as possible. Predrill about 4 of the screwholes in your template, with a small drill bit. For the pickup holes, use your original idea of using the jigsaw, and a large drill bit to make the starting hole. Again, make sure you stay inside your original line. Once your template board is the same shape as your original pickguard, use some 60 or 100 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges, both outer and inner, to be as smooth and straight as possible.

Now, lay your original pickguard on top of your new material, and trace the outline lightly for reference. Also mark all screw holes at this time. You will want to drill out the screw holes with a countersink bit, in a drill press if possible so as not to go too deep.

You will need to find 4 screws that are flat headed as opposed to oval headed like standard pickguard screws. These screws should be small enough to screw in completely flush with the surface of the pickguard material, or even lower if possible. You do NOT want the screws sticking up out of the material at all.

Now, carefully cut your pickguard out on the band saw, but stay about a quarter inch outside your line. It should be oversized at this point.

Now, on your template, countersink a few screws through the main area of the pickguard shape so that you can attatch the template securely to a larger board or workbench. It should be firmly mounted, and if mounted to a larger board, that board should be clamped to a workbench.

Using the small screws and the 4 holes you predrilled in the template, screw the guard material to the template. You will now use a router with a straight trim bit to cut the guard to shape. The bit will follow the template board, so it it imperative that the template's edges are as smooth as possible. Make sure you are careful with the router, and do not let it linger in one place, as it will melt the edge of the plastic. You should make a few passes, and not try to cut all the way in to the template at once. (use a drill bit to make a hole in the pickup holes to get the router bit in... The smaller the router bit, the better, as that is less corner filing you will have to do later.)

Once you have gotten the guard to shape with the flat bit, change out the router to a bevel bit. You will probably want either a 30 degree or 45 degree bevel, check it against your original guard to be sure. MAKE SURE NOT TO SET THE BIT TOO DEEP IN THE ROUTER! This is the easiest part to screw up on... Set it too shallow at first, and lower it a tiny bit at a time until it gives you the edge you want. Again, make sure to be quick with the router so as not to melt your guard. Make sure you only rout a bevel on the parts of the guard that should be beveled... The inside of the pickup holes and probably the neck pocket area should NOT get beveled.

If the edge looks rough when you take it off the template, you can smooth the edge with some light sand paper, 200 grit or higher. Polish as necessary, and you're done! Install and enjoy!

Or, you could just use a jigsaw, but I think my method will yield better results, LOL!

No problem... I made some sweet natural finish hardwood pickguards for my old Les Pauls a while back, using a similar but more in depth method. There's a certain beauty to a heritage cherry burst LP plus top in flamed maple, with a natural finish birdseye maple pickguard and truss rod cover... I will have to see if I can get some pics of it, I sold it to the guy I used to build cabinets with.

I emailed Terrapin and it turns out they've done a G-310 one before, or at least have the template for it. They sent me the template and I cut it out to make sure it fits right, and it does. The price is pretty reasonable, though I'm waiting to have it confirmed, because I didn't mention where I was from intially, so the shipping cost will probably be a bit more than what I was quoted, but that's not really a major. I'm probably just going to go with the Terrapin one. I know I could do it myself to the same standard, but this eliminates the setup work for me and having to take it all to school. I was never adverse to going with Terrapin, I just expected it to cost a lot more, and I expected that there would be a setup cost because it didn't appear as though they had done a G-310 one before, so I figured I could do it myself for a lot less. Turns out I was wrong! It's a little bit more expensive than doing it myself, but I think the Celluloid material that Terrapin uses is a much better quality material than the stuff that's available as a blank sheet, which is vinyl.

I don't know why they don't have Epiphone pickguards listed on their website, espeially the G-310, which is quite different to all others. After all, Epiphone is a standalone brand in it's own right, and plenty of people have them, this forum is surely a testament to that. There's definitely no absensce of a market for Epiphone speicifc products.

Archived