Gibson Brands Forums

Where, Where...?

DizzyFingers

Luv the tone...and I believe they are hotter than the Gibby's...!

I have both, though not an exact comparison. My Gibsons are plastic soaps and my Epi's are metalic dogears. The Epi's are indeed hotter sounding, though the Gibsons have higher output. Until I got used to the Epi 90's and learned how to use them in my rig right, I thought I wanted to ditch them for Gibsons. They have a "looser" breakup then the Gibson p90's, which are really great in any context I have tried them in. When I started using the amp's gain rather than an OD pedal the Epi P90 turned into a whole other animal for me. Just perfect. Now, I've added a BBE treble booster to the pedal board, and even overdriven with pedals the Epi P90 is a monster, which is good news for my amps with no onboard gain. No desire to change those stockers out now. Why in the hell can't Epi do humbuckers like that? There is no comparison at all there, IMO. Gibson beats the tar out of them...not right given the closing gap in prices.

do any of your p90's hum? mine hum like crazy when I plug in the guitar especially with gain up or using a od pedal

I get some hum, sure. And more so with higher gain. It's not any worse than strats I've had though. Little loud between songs...just gotta turn down at those moments. It would have to hum alot worse for P90's not be my top pick. If you have REAL bad hum, maybe there's a ground issue?

With single coils and high gain, you have to have a noise gate, move away from the speakers, turn the volume down between songs, or put up with it. Tight stages that put you right in front of the speakers make a noise gate or volume control the only option.

Archived