Gibson Brands Forums

LP Standard and Dot Deluxe differences - what are they?

BillyGibson

I have a standard LP and a 56 LP. Both are outstanding. I've been reading

a lot about Dots. I recognize the differences in how they're built, etc..

I'm learning to play the blues. It seems like everyone I've seen either uses a

strat type guitar (SRV) or a Lucille (BB King).

My question is for those who have both, when you're plugged in to your

amplifier, is there any real difference in sound? Do they play any differently?

At $399, the Dot Deluxe looks like a great deal, especially when you look a the new LP Std

prices at $549.

Thanks.

You'll have to worry about fighting feedback with the Dot before you will the Paul, for one. The Paul will sound a little more "meaty", where you'll get a bit more openness from the Dot, I would imagine. I've played semi-hollows before, but not a Dot specifically. If you're planning on playing mainly clean tones, or lower gain distortion, you'll probably be happy with either... but if you ever plan to venture into higher gain, heavier stuff, you'll definitely be better off with a Paul. For blues, either should be fine.

One thing which I love about the Dot (and I guess any semi solid or hollow body) is that wonderful feeling when you're on the edge of feedback and the whole guitar feels like it's alive. The top starts to vibrate and you can feel it breathing through the F holes. Something you just don't get with a solid

There is no "right" guitar for any application. When I was a kid (many moons ago), I took some jazz guitar lessons to broaden my horizons. The instructor was old school and had some reservations because I had Pelham blue 335--but he eventually came to the conclusion that it would be all right--what horsesh*t! Of course, now the 335 is seen as a viable guitar for jazz (witness Larry Carlton, for example).

You can play blues on any guitar you want. Find one whose look appeals to you and that feels good to your hands. Don't feel constrained to play a Strat or a 335-type or anything else. Get out and try some guitars.

That being said, I have a personal attachment to the 335-style. It is very versatile and can produce the sounds you want for rock/jazz/blues--almost anything. But YOU have to choose. Cheers.

Archived