Gibson Brands Forums

Black Les Paul Custom (89?) Japan or Korea?

Modorange

I was looking around in a pawn shop the other day and there was a black Les Paul Custom (Epiphone) in there with a $500 price tag on it. They aren't very common and I looked at it and noticed it had gold plated Gotoh Tuners on it. I thought maybe this meant it was made in Japan? Any experts out ther want to chime in on this? I felt like the price was a bit high considering it had a chip in one of the volume knobs and on the plastic nut, but when I plugged 'er in it did sound very nice indeed.

The body on the guitar is solid and it had a paper tag serial number on the headstock of 9111311. There was another smaller metallic or foil rectangular tag on the back of the body near the neck/body joint, and I'm assuming it said "made in Japan" or Made in Korea", but the printing was worn off, and illegible. The headstock had an epiphone top on it but the sides were narrowed going wider towards the nut, rather than the wider going narrow style that more recent (and earlier) Epiphones have on them. I don't recall if there were 2 or 3 screws on the trussrod cover but it did just say GIBSON in block letters.

The binding was all correct LP Custom copy type, and they were the yellowed or ivory color while the inlays were block and the diamond pattern on the headstock with the white pearloid inlays..Not able to shoot a picture of it..

I have heard various sources state that Epiphone was only produced in Korea in the late 80s but this guitar is in nice condition, so I was wondering if anyone has a similar guitar with the country make sticker intact, thus proving the theory they were indeed made in Korea, not Japan?

BTW Nice forum.. Many, many Epiphone players..

I believe that it is very accurate. At one time there was some serial # schemes that the program didn't recognize but I personally don't know of anyone who has gotten bad info from the program.

If you are still uncertain just email Gibson with the serial # and they will get back to you.

I have a 1989 Les Paul with the same taging and headstock. On the back of the headstock there is a tag with the serial #, a tag on the bottom of the headstock that says Made in Korea and a tag where the neck joint meets the body that says LP/STD HB,Les Paul Standard Honeyburst.I have dated mine to August of 89.

Matt

The body on the guitar is solid and it had a paper tag serial number on the headstock of 9111311. There was another smaller metallic or foil rectangular tag on the back of the body near the neck/body joint' date=' and I'm assuming it said "made in Japan" or Made in Korea", but the printing was worn off, and illegible

[/quote']

I had an '91 Emperor II that was made in Korea, had the 3 screw trc with "Gibson" on it.

It also had a white sticker tag on it with a 1100xxx serial number on it.

It was made in Korea by Samick.

From what I've been able to determine on this serial numbering system, is that

the first number is the year of manufacture: ie the black LP custom :9 ='89)

and my Emperor II (1) = '91

The next two digits would probably be the month of manufacture 11= nov

and in my case 10=Oct. The last 4 digits would be a production number

of somewhere between 0001 and 9999.

EDIT: According to my Les Paul book, Gibson used a single digit to indicate the

year of manufacture and a 4 digit production number (the month was not

included).

I have a 1989 Les Paul with the same taging and headstock. On the back of the headstock there is a tag with the serial #' date=' a tag on the bottom of the headstock that says Made in Korea and a tag where the neck joint meets the body that says LP/STD HB,Les Paul Standard Honeyburst.I have dated mine to August of 89.

Matt [/quote']That sounds like the same era guitar only this one is obscured what it says on the tag at the body and there is no make tag on it at all. Bingo! Thanks!

What would you say is the value of the guitar? Is $500 a reasonable, high or low price?

That sounds like the same era guitar only this one is obscured what it says on the tag at the body and there is no make tag on it at all. Bingo! Thanks!

What would you say is the value of the guitar? Is $500 a reasonable' date=' high or low price? [/quote']

If it has a LP hardshell case, then it is probably pretty close to the resale price. You can alway try to

negotiate $50 cheaper if it's a pawnshop..most pawnshop owners will go for it. I like the Samick built

Epis, especially the Emperor IIs. I would surmise (without seeing pics of it or playing it that

better quality and construction than the Saien built LP Custom black that I have. Samick pianos are

well known for tone and quality and SMC have been in business for quite a few years now.

I believe they have their own line now.

http://www.smcmusic.com/electric_guitars.html

Archived