Gibson Brands Forums

help with choice of acoustic.

slasher1319

I am buying an epiphone acoustic or acoustic electric. My choices are Ej 200, Ej200e ie the elvis presley one, ej 200ce, hummingbird , hate the look, and the dove. Which one is the best and the most value for the money. How loud are they and using that info would it be better to buy an acoustic electric like elvis presley one or ej200ce? are the ej's just looks or do they have good sounds or are the humming bird and dove better. If so which one is the best. Thanks to all who respond.

I think with any guitar, but more so with acoustics, you need to actually play that guitar and decide for yourself which you think sounds best. I have played some EJ-200s that, to my ears, sounded better than Masterbilts that I have played. We can tell you about differences in the builds but ultimately you will have to decide what sounds best to you.

Get a Masterbilt!! My opinion is, that there are a couple of really nice guitars in the "less expensive" line that are exceptionally, good.

I like the AJ200S, & the EL00, haven't been blown away by the others. That's just me!!!

Generally speaking:

The EJ200 will give you more 'boom', i.e. volume.

For a more refined sound the Hummingbird and Dove are hard to beat. You can mic them and keep up with a plugged in EJ200.

For a more warm and woody tone the 'Bird is the word.

For a more bright and crisp tone, the Dove is your love. (Hey! I'm a poet and didn' know et.)

If you don't fancy the 'Bird pick guard and burst, there are white faced, plain pickguarded versions out there.

I don't recall if the Dove has a plain guard version, but there probably is one.

Archived