Gibson Brands Forums

wah pedal killing tone!!??

Ive got a classic crybaby the cheapest on i think i got it for $79, but i used to own the jimi fuz wah about 3 years back, both of these pedals seem to rip all the bass right out of my tone, it seems to make everything way to trebelly, any thing you guys can recomend, and also what is the best wah pedal out there i need some opinions because im thinkn about scrapn the crybaby for somethin else thanks

yeah, wah pedals are like this. I've got some time ago a scheme (found it somewhere in google) showing which parts to swap to make a difference. Unfortunatelly, it didn't make any affect (well almost, but not as I expected). So my next step was (and still is) to put wah in a loop of my bypass strip. Whenever I use it, just pass the signal through. If not, it stays away and doesn't affect the signal whatsoever.

That's my advise to you mate.

Are you talking about when the wah is on, or off?

If you mean with it off, you need to find a model that has true bypass circuitry, or have yours modded.

If you mean the actual wah sound, I know what you are talking about... I was having similar issues with my bad horsie 2, so I just picked up an Ibanez Weeping Demon. It has a bunch of adjustability, including a range control you can set to low range, as well as a "low" knob that acts as a filter, to let pure low end through "under" the wah filter effect. That way you can have a nice fat tone, and still get the wah sound at the same time. I haven't had it long, but so far I love it. You can also switch between morley style "switchless" operation, or switched via the footswitch beside the rocker board. It's a really versatile wah, for a street price of only 99 bucks, not much more than a crybaby, and less than most morley wah pedals.

Archived