Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge question

Macquarrie

I took my new Riviera to a local music shop to buy a new set of strings and I have a question about the bridge. The manager of the place showed me how to remove the old strings, I broke the skinny E string, and install new strings. The bridge isn't straight anymore and I was wondering if it matters? Any advice?

Thanks,

Mac

Ron,

When I got home I noticed it was crooked, compared to the pick up it sets next to. The manager at the guitar place told me the bridge will move if you cut all the strings at once so he took the bottom three off and replaced them and then took the others off and replaced them. Now it seems to me that the bridge is a little crooked.

It's fine, Mac. It sits on posts imbedded in the body. You can't change that angle, which supports

proper intonation. If you take all the strings off, the bridge can easily come off the posts but it's

no big deal - you just put it back on. Sometimes, the bridge falling off the posts unexpectedly

may scratch the guitar, that's all. If you look at pics of other guitars, you'll see that the angle is

the same as yours. Sometimes, you'll want to remove all the strings in order to clean hard-to-get-to

places.

Mac, if you want to feel better about the bridge alignment Google search Stratocaster and look at the pickup alignment to the bridge. They are slanted for tone as well as being higher one one side for volume and output balance between the high and low strings.

And, as TWANG said, the bridge saddles are angled for intonation so that the 12th fret is a perfect octave to the open string.

I got a stopbar question. On the Lp Epi's the strings on the stop bar are fed from the bottom going straight through the stopbar..... I have seen PRS use the stopbar with the strings going over the stopbar. Can you change the Epi stopbar and use one of those PRS bars with the indentations for the string to go over them?

I think there are some "wrap-around" tailpieces from Gibson/Epi availible' date=' too

Don't know if the PRS ones will fit on Epis

Peter[/quote']

Well you can make any of them wrap around. But the PRS have the ridges for the strings. Have you seen any Epi/Gib pieces with the string ridges on them?

Can you change the Epi stopbar and use one of those PRS bars with the indentations for the string to go over them?

Sure. Pull the old stopbar, pull the bushings, fill the holes, drill 2 new holes, fit PRS bushings, fit PRS-stopbar.

Have you seen the prices on those PRS-thingies?! I rather buy a new Squier....:-k

Sure. Pull the old stopbar' date=' pull the bushings, fill the holes, drill 2 new holes, fit PRS bushings, fit PRS-stopbar.

Have you seen the prices on those PRS-thingies?! I rather buy a new Squier....:-k [/quote']

I guess in a nutshell you are saying they do not fit.

Cool, I wonder if that would fit my LP Stnd. It even has the ridges for the strings so they stay in place. I'm glad you are able to translate a portion of the ad, because I could only read the title...... : ) Thanks

Archived