Gibson Brands Forums

Will this tailpeice fit my dot?

gibsonbass76

I am revamping my dot and found this tailpiece and thought you guys would be able to tell me if it fit. Here's the description;

"Gotoh stop tailpiece assembly for electric guitar. Chrome finish. Standard 3-1/4" stud spacing and SAE stud threads. Stud insert diameter is 13mm."

I posted about my tailpiece pulling out of the body of my dot, I'm replacing the pickups and tuners so I figured I'd put a better quality tailpiece while i'm at it.

Oh and what about this nut?

"Graph Tech slotted Trem Nut for most USA Gibson. Measures 1-3/4" x 3/16" x 3/8"."

The graph tech gibson lp nut I have here compares to the graph tech Tusq nut made for epiphones in the following way.

Identical except the string spacing is a tick larger. That is, the strings are space a bit farther apart.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, it's not that much.

I tend to space them farther when I install bone, myself, and a guy bought this one from me for the same reason..to mount on an epi and have the strings slightly farther apart at the nut.

I don't know epis bridge specs. there are too many to memorize. But I beleive you have metric threads.

and you can measure the posts center to center and see if that's right as well.

I also don't memorize the bushing sizes, I just buy parts that fit and ask the supplier. *G*

You can find all sorts of tailpieces that will fit at www.allparts.com

I don't know if they all have specs on the pages, but you can look.

TWANG

If this makes any sense...if you're sticking with SAE, which you're probably going to have to, you should go slightly over whatever the metric size is, or they'll be too loose. I had to go up in size when I milled the TP6 on 'ol Blue, cuz it was cut for Gibson, and was pretty sloppy on the Epiphone posts. Just a thought.

I'll look some more online, but I don't want to do a lot of modification to the body, I'll probably stick with the stock tailpiece. My dot has an awesome finish, body, and construction, I just think the components attached to the body are compromising it's quality.

That was exactly my attitude with mine. I switched out the tail, bridge, knobs, pickups, guts, pickguard (which I occasionally "loose" in my case). I basically took a great guitar, and made it even better. That IS a nice lookin' Dot ya got though.

Archived