Gibson Brands Forums

cleaning my Vos.

w66

Hi Admin,

could you tell me which of the Gison polishes WITHOUT any cutting compound I should use to clean/polish my custom Vos?, at the moment I use gibson pump polish, that comes in a small orange spray bottle.

Also I was told to put something on the ebony fretboard to stop it getting to dirty/cracking can you tell me the recomended 'stuff'

thanks,

wolf.

as far as cleaning a VOS finish' date=' i ALWAYS recommend a light dusting with a dry cloth.[/quote']

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, it sounds as though as far as Vos is concerned, no polish is good polish.

My main concern is fingerprints, so do you recomend removing any prints with a cloth aswell?

I dont want to use any chemicals or polishes on my guitar if theres a chance of damaging the finish, even if its just a spray-on Gibson product that say's safe for all finishes.

Thanks again,

wolf.

just maybe use your breath and a dry cloth. the VOS finish can be rubbed off if you work on it too hard.

Thanks for telling me that, luckily I only bought it last week!

thanks again,

wolf.

I put a very small bit of the gibson luthiers choice on the neck of my VOS, since I could feel it starting to get a bit sticky, and just rubbing with a dry cloth wasn't really doing the trick. The polish worked fine. Its nice and slick now and it seemed to be a bit bright in the first place rather than the dull finish at the neck anyway.

I just rub the body lightly with a soft cotton cloth and breath as stated below. I don't really know how I can do after every use without the VOS finish coming off a bit eventually. Same goes for my arm rubbing off the body while playing, some wear is bound to occur. I do think something will have to go on to avoid wear but its a bit annoying that gibson can't give a definitive answer of whats safe to use. For example, they have a vintage reissue restoration kit, with polish that says for nitrocellulose finishes on the bottle...so is this stuff safe to use or should you also avoid this on the body? I am acutally avoid playing my VOS in order to avoid wear...it should be my number one guitar considering what it cost me.

I use planet waves Hydrate on my fretboards .

Hi Barry,

How often do you hydrate your fretboards?, this is all new to me but at least if I follow all the suggestions that I get here, I should have my work of art for a long time to come.

thanks.

just maybe use your breath and a dry cloth. the VOS finish can be rubbed off if you work on it too hard.

I'm not tryin to come of as sounding like a smart ***, but in a previous email Admin said that a Vos has the same amount of laquer/finish as a glossy model, if thats the case then why does it sound like the finish on a Vos takes WAY more care than the finish on a non-Vos to keep it in prime condition?

thanks,

wolf.

Hi Barry' date='

How often do you hydrate your fretboards?, this is all new to me but at least if I follow all the suggestions that I get here, I should have my work of art for a long time to come.

thanks.[/quote']

I just do it every couple months or so . I wouldnt think you would need it real often unless you live in a place that has very low humidity and very dry .

Archived