Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Spotting at Glastonbury - on TV

albertjohn

one more kick at the can for this thread - on a pop culture note. i noticed, whilst clicking through pages of photos from this fest and bonnaroo as well, that the guitar of choice times are a changin'. during the 90's and much of the 2000's, the SG and the ES-3-- were, seemingly, permanent fixtures on every stage. everywhere you looked - gibson electrics.

i remember it was not always so. during the 80's/early 90's (cue in led zep vamp -does anybody remember the 80's? does anybody remember laughter?) through whole new wave movement the tele seemed to dominate. even classic stalwarts and rockers - springsteen - and r/b icons like prince pushed the tele's mass exposure along. the 80's is our kid's classic rock (god, i feel old now) and they are merely emulating their heros.

oasis and noel gallagher's manchester movement seemed to bring gibby back and from there it was gibby all the way. i even sold my tele for a les paul. copy. sorry.

but my recent leafing shows that the gibby of previous favour is being replaced, once again, by fenders. teles and jags are popping up everywhere. i guess the stereotypes get beaten to death, apex, burnout and dissappear, leaving the stage open for history to reapeat itself again - and the only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history. i don't know what that has to do with anything but it's such a cool line!

one thing we do know for sure is that the gibson acoustic won't be taking a back seat to fender's line anytime soon! ha! thanks for listening.

Archived