Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought my first epiphone, I have a case fitting question...

JamesBenjamin

I picked up a used double-cutaway Les Paul Junior with a bolt-on neck for a really good price. I was about to order a case for it online, but wanted to make sure I know what I'm ordering first... This guitar has the same dimensions as a standard epi Les Paul, correct? So If I get the standard form-fitting Epiphone Lest Paul case it will fit this guitar as well?

Thanks in advance for the info, guys. =)

This guitar has the same dimensions as a standard epi Les Paul' date=' correct? So If I get the

standard form-fitting Epiphone Lest Paul case it will fit this guitar as well?

[/quote']

James,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new guitar....Pics?

Juniors and Specials should have the same outside dimensions as other L.P.s. However, they are not the same thickness.

If by form-fitting case you mean a standard Epi L.P. case, they do not fit.

As the body is thinner, the guitar will set too far down into the case. This causes the neck to ride up at an angle.

If you close the lid you will break the neck. (not good)

There are two solutions. Take the guitar to a store and buy a case that is the correct thickness for the body.

or...

Modify the case. If you have your heart set on an Epi case, as I did, the mods are simple.

First, I went to a fabric store and bought some 1" high density foam and some flannel fabric.

I traced my guitar onto some construction paper. Checked the templet for fit in the case.

Traced that onto the foam rubber. I cut the foam into the 4 pieces I needed and covered with the flannel. (used spray glue)

I had to double up on a couple of the pads as I needed more than 1".

Sounds like a bigger pain than it actually is.

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

photo2.jpg

Another potental problem is/are the neck support. Some Epi L.P. cases come with one neck support. Some come with

two. In any case (pun intended) quality controll ain't what it used to be. If the support(s) are not at the propper

height it can still cause problems. I had no problems with one I bought for my L.P. Standard. When I bought a hard

shell Epi case for the Special (same size as a Jr.) the neck supports were too high. I ended up taking the screws out

of the side of the case, removing the support, cutting down the bottom of supports to correct alignment and

reinstalling.

I know you shouldn't have to go through all this with a brand new case but I wanted an Epi case to go with the

Epi guitar. So, it is just a matter of "it is what it is".

Hope this helps (one way or another)

Willy

I used a SKB Les Paul case that fit my Les Paul special fine with no mods needed. However Willy's suggestion will work fine for my Reverend Roundhouse that replaced the special and is using the specials case. The neck is at a different angle then my LP's, so does not sit quite right....

Measure the upper bout across and the lower bout across on yours and

the length from headstock to strap pin.

Most Lp cases will acommodate LP type guitars up to 41 inches long by 9.5" x 13.5".

The EPi LP is 39.5" (with strap pin)Long x 9 .25" (upper at horn tip) x 13"(lower)

Thickness is 1.75".

Archived