Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton string buzz

dino520

Mostly on the b string all the way up to the 15th fret..but almost nonexistant on the high e. Some buzz on the a and low e too. I'd prefer not to raise the bridge. So what are my options. I'm a newb here..so thanks in advance!

Have you had the guitar awhile, and has this JUST occured, or was it there since you got the guitar (new purchase, etc.)?

Since you're in the SF Bay area...it might be humidity causing a bit of neck bow (in or out)...so, a slight adjustment of

the truss rod, could clear that up. If you're not used to doing that, just take it to a good repair place, or your dealer,

if they have qualified luthiers, or repair persons on staff. They might adjust the bridge, too...AFTER they do the truss

rod, but unless the action is TOO low, that shouldn't be a problem.

Might have them check the "nut" for slots that (might) be too deep/low?

CB

Yeah I think it's been there since I bought it..I don't play it as much as my Strat..so I don't remember really! But I did swap out the pups and put a bone nut on there too. What's a set up generally cost ballpark? I've never had one..

Yeah I think it's been there since I bought it..I don't play it as much as my Strat..so I don't remember really! But I did swap out the pups and put a bone nut on there too. What's a set up generally cost ballpark? I've never had one..

Varies...on who does it, and what (exactly) needs to be done. Back here, it's $50-150 or more, possibly, just depends... Out there....??? Simple adjustments are cheaper, or even sometimes "free," again...depending on

where/who's doing it.

CB

I was lucky,

Up until last year, the tech. I used was only charging $20 for a non vibrato setup

and $35 for a vibrato setup.

This included neck measurement & adjustment if needed, pickup height adjustment,action adjustment, intonation, stop bar (if applicable)adjustment, cleanup, and new string(supplied by customer, extra for his) installation.

Vibrato adjustment basically set it to perfection.

Sadly, last fall the tech. left the state, so I took some lessons and began doing all my own setups.

I miss him, he was really dedicated to, and absolutely loved returning each and every guitar in

tip top playing condition every time.

He also had "Thursday Night Jam" at his shop (which was right next door to the biggest bar in our town) and anybody in the area was welcome to come jam, regardless of age,sex,skill level, or music preference.

Thanks guys...doesn't anyone find it strange that only certain strings are buzzing? I would think that if the B string buzzes along almost the entire length of the fretboard that all the strings would buzz. I'm worried that it might need a complete fret overhaul..

Actually yeah..but there's no individual height adjustment on the saddles. I've heard that you could try slipping a piece of paper under it and see if that solves it..but that's a temporary fix anyway. Is there another solution?

Archived