Gibson Brands Forums

Adirondack tops and the slope-shouldered models

Dave in SLC

I'm with Hoss on this one. I don't consider adirondack spruce to be the silver-bullet of the acoustic guitar world as many others do. I've played a number of adi topped guitars that just didn't cut it (and these were examples where clearly the "break-in" effect wasn't going salvage things). I've also played a number of unbelievable sounding guitars that were sitka-topped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not anti-red spruce. Out of all of the guitars that I've played, I would say that percentage-wise a higher number of the adirondack topped examples have appealed to me than the sitka topped models. Regardless, as I so often end up claiming, I still think you need to play each guitar and judge it on its own merits.

All the best,

Guth

Distinctive? Id say so (scroll back). Would it work for you? That depends on your picking style' date=' your attack, the music you choose to play. [/quote']

Distinctive, yes - more often than not. But not always, and that's sorta my point.

By the way, I've seen Geremia play - that guy could probably play just about any box and make it sound great. Good stuff.

Archived