Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between lp in ebony and lp in other colours?

mickdunn205

Hi, I dont know if theres a difference in the actual guitar but i went to a guitar shop at the weekend and an epiphone les paul standard in ebony was £70 cheaper than one in blue or cherry sunburst, can anyone tell me if theres a difference in the guitar or is it just the colour you pay extra for, Also Is it worth saving a little extra for a les paul custom whats different in these and the standard, I dont know much about these guitars but I'm hoping to buy one soon. Thanks

the easy answer is black is much easier to paint then a burst type finish' date=' not surwe its the correct answer as I am taking a guess....[/quote']

That, and the selection of the wood is not as critical as with trans or burst finishes. No need to match the pieces visually...

Well, that's not uncommon. "Burst" paint jobs are more labor intensive. And, generally they use a nicer patterned wood top, on Guitars that are going to get transparent or "Burst" type paint jobs. Gold tops, and Plain non-transparent painted instruments don't need the fancier wood grains, obviously. So...that's all a part of it. George Harrison's LP ("Lucy") was originally a "Gold Top," that had been refinished. That's why the seam, of the maple top,

is off centered. LOL...Now, you have to pay a premium, to get that "characteristiic/effect!" ;>b

CB

That' date=' and the selection of the wood is not as critical as with trans or burst finishes. No need to match the pieces visually...[/quote']

LOL... I had most of what you typed in my reply but deleted it before I hit post... They mentioned that on the Heritage guitar factory tour when I visted the factory last october

Archived