Gibson Brands Forums

A miscellaneous guitar question

BSAKing

I have a number of EPI's and my favourites in the pack all seem to be the Samick ones. So I started looking at alternatives to my Joe Pass which is a favourite here (also Samick) and started looking more specifically into Samick offerings issued under their own label.

I was noticing the HF/HJ-650 Jazz boxes and was wondering if anyone has any direct experience with them.

Thanks & regards

BSA

I ordered a Samick from M123 the month before Katrina. Needless to say, it never arrived (we got no mail for months, and UPS wasn't coming around either). I have heard good things about Samick and the Gregg Bennett line. My Samick-made Dot is wonderful. I try to stick to Samick and Unsung when buying Korean.

The HF/HJ 650 models evolved into the Greg Bennett JZ series. The 650 models are similar to the Epiphone Broadway, in that they're 17" hollowbodies with 25.5" scale and 2 humbuckers. They don't have the highly figured backs and sides of the JZ models, but are otherwise very nice guitars.

Yes - I too have heard very good things about the Gregg Bennet line, but I *think* among others it covers off the ES-335 type of thing which (for now) I have the Sheratons. One of my Sheratons is a Samick which led me in this direction.

I was specifically after a 'big body' jazz offering as a potential upgrade to the Joe Pass (which the one I have here is also a Samick) which would not break the bank. I have not been able to find a lot of info on the HF/HJ-650 aside from the harmony central reviews.

I was not really sure it would be any discernible improvement over the Samick JP I have here or not.... I was hoping maybe someone here had perhaps direct experience with the HJ-650 and the Joe Pass Samicks.

Yep --- I own a Samick Joe Pass and have played the HJ-650 models. Tonewise they're similar, but the longer scale and bigger body of the HJ-650 gives it a bit crisper tone and fatter low end --- it's more like the Broadway than the JP. I wouldn't call it an improvement over the JP as much as a different alternative. The JP's 16" body and 24.75" scale give it a distinctive tone and feel; the HJ-650 also has its unique voice. Some players are more comfortable with the JP's smaller body, others like the larger box.

Archived