Gibson Brands Forums

Best budget rhythm guitar: dot or telecaster

ccrnnr9

I'll jump in here, but I'm gonna duck afterward.

The more I play my sheri, the more I realize it does it all for me.

I find my teles used more rarely.

When I practice I'll often play the second part.. be the guy supporting.. because it's darn fun and it's good practice.

The Tele and dot signature sounds nothwithstanding this sort of choosing. I still prefer the dot for the range of sounds, and

for what I think is a much closer to acoustic sound in general.

True, I cheat and use P90s, so yer tele aint got much on my sheri or dot to start with.

grin grin grin

But I find I like the scale better, and the neck, as well as the sounds.

If I had bought a dot studio 17 years ago when I got my sheri.. I'd probably have at least three of them by now.

And at least one less tele.

TWANG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know...Tele, Dot, Strat, LP...whatever! Whatever works for you, is totally cool! I find, that if the other

guitarist is using a Fender (Tele or Strat, or even Jazzmaster...don't know anyone around here, with a Jaguar),

and they're doing "lead," I will almost always (if I have it with me) use my Riviera for Rhythm. It's not only a bit

mellower/rounder in tone, but it's a nice contrast/support tone, that doesn't compete, with the Fenders. I may

do just the reverse, if he's playing a Gibson, or other Humbucker equipped guitar, for leads...I would then pull

out one of my Fenders, or even one of the Gretsches. Those contrasting/complimentary tones, are one of the

things I used to love about a lot of what The Beatles, and The Byrds (to name just two bands I love) used to do,

quite often. Also, the Ricky 12-String with a Gretsch (Tennessean or Country Gent) as back-up lead/rhythm

is an awesome, complimentary combination. Anyway, just some more thoughts..

CB

Archived