Gibson Brands Forums

new bird

snoty

I've put a couple of posts about the Hummingbird. Got a bad one so they sent me a new one..As soon as I picked up the new one I could fell the differencethe neck was narrower and thicker.Upon closer examination on the back of the headstock is just one sticker says made in China..on the first one it had a epi silver sticker and made in indoneasa ( rite spelling?) As I was looking at Twang's Dove I noticed the same stickers..So if your looking at one make sure it's got the silver sticker. I think that sticker states inspected in US or something like that..The one like tang's felt like a quality inst. this second one felt like a toy..anybody else had any trouble like that?

I've put a couple of posts about the Hummingbird. Got a bad one so they sent me a new one..As soon as I picked up the new one I could fell the differencethe neck was narrower and thicker.Upon closer examination on the back of the headstock is just one sticker says made in China..on the first one it had a epi silver sticker and made in indoneasa ( rite spelling?) As I was looking at Twang's Dove I noticed the same stickers..So if your looking at one make sure it's got the silver sticker. I think that sticker states inspected in US or something like that..The one like tang's felt like a quality inst. this second one felt like a toy..anybody else had any trouble like that?

So....are you going to return it and try another one? I have to admit it seems very hit and miss with these Dove & Hummingbird models. I don't think I would buy one sight unseen. Several of the ones I tried at the store before I got mine (used) were kinda crappy with bad finishes and one had a soundhole that was terribly cut. It looked like they forgot to sand the edges of it before applying the finish as it was all full of small wood splinters.

I think I was pretty lucky to get a good one even though it was built in China 2 years ago. Than again i was able to try it out before buying it.

Thanks for all the replies..This last one had a sound hole just as you discribed not sanded properly and the laquer drolled or something.I have one more comming.if it's a clunker I'm done for a while

Archived