Gibson Brands Forums

LP Ultra ll "extra wire" question

Grant

A few weeks ago I bought a faded cherry Ultra ll and have been having a lot of fun with it. Today I took the backplate off to discover two pcb's, one for the humbuckers and one for the nano mag. Very high tech and I suppose necessary to control all the different sounds the guitar makes. But there is also a black wire, soldered to the back of the neck humbucker volume pot, that was stripped on the end but not attached to anything. It seems to have been tucked under the backingplate to keep it from floating around in the cavity. Another similar wire soldered in the same place leads to the pups. All of the controls seem to work properly and I imagine this loose wire is for another option or configuration that Shadow has allowed for, or it could be a wire that needs grounding. I have noticed some other posters have the Ulra ll and am hoping someone may have some thoughts about this loose wire. Thanks.

I have a midnight ebony one. The wire you describe goes part way into one of the screw holes, it grounds the shielding on the cover/pre-amp. Make sure you leave a little bare wire out of the hole and bend it to 90deg so the shielding makes good contact.

btw: have you posted any photos yet, they like their pix here.

RaSTuS- Thanks for the rapid reply. Don't know if I would have ever figured that one out. The backplate is kind of like the pickguard on a Strat in that so many electronics are attached to it.

I'm not set up with a photo sharing site but this demo menu lets folks see what both of our guitars look like:

http://www.epiphone.com/ultraII/default.html

Thanks again, hope things are going well down under.

Archived