Gibson Brands Forums

Neck adjustment

micmymac

string height or action adjustments happen at the nut, the bridge/saddles and the truss rod.

First.. whatcah wanna do?

I would assume the action is a tick high. that's usual..

so a bridge lowering would be first.

But you need to check your nut slot depth, and neck relief ...

sight down the neck. from the nut to the bridge... get an idea of if the neck is straight or curves one way or the other..

read a little bit.. lots of simple to understand info on the web.. and then conclude.. decide what you think the problem is..

and ask again!

that way we can help you not screw it up!

TWANG

I just got an ephiphone les paul 100 and I cant figure out how to adjust the neck. Anyone know how?

thanks

Welcome to the Forum!!! Your first post is legitimate tech question. I've been watching to see how

views this got before anyone jumped in.

RonG!!!! True, so let's ask the basic questions:

MicMyMac -

1. How much experience with "tweaking"/adjusting on a guitar do you have at this point?

2. 1st guitar? 1st electric?

3. How proficient at tuning a git are you?

4. have you ever adjusted string height/"Action"?

5. Ever adjusted electric guitar bridge to set "intonation"?

6. Ever adjusted Truss Rod to change "curve" in guitar neck?

I'm guessing that you are asking (from a beginner's point of view - "HOW DO I do this?",

which is how we all learn. If I'm wrong, correct my assumption.

There are a gazillion articles on guitar "set-up". Just need to know what level of

proficiency you're at in order to recommend specific direction.

just google "Adjust truss rod electric guitar", or "set up electric guitar", read

many different articles, print out what you like.... LEARN!!!

I am getting fret buzz at the top of the neck. What does fixing that involve?

Also, how do you adjust a bowed neck?, most guitars have something for it at the top of the fretboard.

Animalfarm: I have no experience tweaking and adjusting, it is my first guitar, I can tune it pretty good, never adjusted string height or action.

I cant find much info online about adjusting on epiphones.

I'd suggest you go here and read up on it.

Setup Guide

It uncomplicates what could seem a complicated issue. Pretty straight forward the way they approach it. As someone else mentioned there are many, many articles on this topic - use Google.

I followed this setup guide for my guitars and it worked out well for me.

One caveat is the truss rod - Do not force it. If you are going to go anywhere near it read this over and over and make sure you understand exactly what you are doing and trying to achieve before you mess with it. Easy does it and small adjustments.

If you are just starting out, I would check the other items first and leave the truss rod alone until you are more familiar with it all and certain about what you are doing. You can always come back to it, or take it to a shop for that.

Note different string clearances depending on guitar type.

If you read through this and actually sit down and check what the guide says it will get you quite familiar with your guitar and the adjustment points on it.

Cheers

if this is your first guitar ever, and you don't even know how to play it - don't go messin' about with the truss, you can do serious damage... also, it might just be you making the buzzes at the top frets.

ugh, as a general rule, the lower the action, the less relief, the higher the action, the more relief.

at the top frets, the truss has nothing to do with them. since the actual bowing of the neck happens in the middle and the relief tapers off at about the 10th-12th fret.

if you're gonna muck about, at least lube the truss nut or it WILL bind and in your inexperienced hands you WILL snap the truss rod...

Archived