Gibson Brands Forums

picking a pickup set...Help! opinions appreciated.

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

i havea set of GFS PAFs(bridge VEH and neck '59), set of burstbuckers(2neck/3bridge), set of duncan designed invader clones, and a set of duncan designed distortion clones.

and 2 bone stock guitars.....

...my first and second REAL guitars:

'02 LPstd+ and a '03 G-400

recommendations?

i dont know what i want to put into them to upgrade. i play the 'paul more as its my favored guitar.

what Im asking is, which guitar would benefit from which pickups?

does the difference in body weight between them sound different from each other? (my g400 sounds a bit hotter than my LP does...)

Guest icantbuyafender

i play alot of blues based classic rock, i use my amps own natural overdrive (Blackheart giant 5) especially when it comes time for a lead , and my clean tones have a jazzy-sweet touch with a hint of some SRV grit for fun (control the OD by rollin' the volume back

when im jamming with friends or just practicing I enjoy all styles and id like to go for a cutting crunch like angus and wailing leads on my SG

and totally brown sound is the direction i want the paul to go in. I want that deep distortion of yesteryear.

versatility too...

I like the Dimarzio Super D's.... I loaded my faded SG with them and it makes my VOX scream, but have the control to achieve that warm hollow chime tone when the amp is clean....

I for one don't like distortion pedals either, and look for the amp to provide all the crunch.... If I can spare some time, I'll fire up the SG and make a clip for ya, and see if it achieves the "brown sound" you're looking for.

Guest icantbuyafender

yeah!! so, burstbuckers or GFS PAF's on the paul?

my burstbuckers are missing the chrome cover ... would the GFS covers fit? like put the GFS covers on the gibbies?

i havea set of GFS PAFs(bridge VEH and neck '59)' date=' set of burstbuckers(2neck/3bridge), set of duncan designed invader clones, and a set of duncan designed distortion clones.

and 2 bone stock guitars.....

...my first and second REAL guitars:

'02 LPstd+ and a '03 G-400

recommendations?

i dont know what i want to put into them to upgrade. i play the 'paul more as its my favored guitar.

what Im asking is, which guitar would benefit from which pickups?

does the difference in body weight between them sound different from each other? (my g400 sounds a bit hotter than my LP does...)

[/quote']

This is unusual, I just soldered in the wires for my EPI lp studio "change-out". Replaced the "stock"

pups with the pups from a g-400 EPI. Cleaner sound, not as muddy/bottom-endy. Strangely enough,

the pups in my LP Studio said : "LP Classic" Bridge/neck" - leftovers? To add even more confusion to

the mix, I recently purchased a 2006 EPI LP Classic with the SAME pups as my 2008 LP Studio! Uh-oh,

"left-over" pups being "added" as STOCK pups? I recently (yesterday) viewed a video tour of the

"quing Dao" = useless, disn't feature much about electics, just acoustics...

Guest icantbuyafender
The Blackheart little giant kicks *** bro' date=' just got mine! I am having the same problem choosing pickups for my Dot. Prob gonna get a dirty fingers for the bridge, cuse i hate the stock bridge.[/quote']

yeah for the almost 2 years ive been a blackheart hound this lil giant keeps the greasey rock tones flowin!

rock on dude, pickups are the toughest choice for me.

Guest icantbuyafender
Distortion Clones = SG!

Burstbucker Pro 2 & 3 = LP.

Do it!!

You'll love the sound!!

so far i put the burstbuckers in the guitar shown on my avatar.

WOW.

theyre open coil and theyre HOT

i love that they even have a tester sign the sticker at the bottom of the pup. Thats quality control.

gonna work on the sg soon.

so far i put the burstbuckers in the guitar shown on my avatar.

WOW.

theyre open coil and theyre HOT

i love that they even have a tester sign the sticker at the bottom of the pup. Thats quality control.

gonna work on the sg soon.

Have you used the GFS pickups yet?

Guest icantbuyafender

Have you used the GFS pickups yet?

those are going into my heritage cherry burst 2002 LP std+ flame top

true PAF vibe, ya know!?

haha lovin it. cant wait to drop em in this weekend when im off. thanks alot bro.

Archived