Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra ll questions

Grant

In an earlier post I asked a question about an Epi LP Ultra ll that I bought a month ago. In that post responders asked for photos so I included one this time. But I have some more simple questions that I hope will be answered by this vast pool of Epi knowledge.

1. I decided to file the sharp corners of the nut to have a less harsh feel when my fingers are at the top of the neck, but this nut does not look, feel or file like the plastic one on my dot. Did this Epi actually come with a bone nut?

2. The frets are not bronze colored like the ones on the dot, are they stainless, nickel or what?

3. The guitar has what has been referred to as Gibson's "trick" of using a pcb to manage the humbucker pots "wiring". As far as the user is concerned and for a non vintage type of guitar is this considered a good thing, a bad thing or just a different thing?

4. The action was low and fairly buzz free but there was no relief. I backed off the truss rod to get a slight amount of relief but when I backed off a little more there was no more resistance to turning the rod as if it was all the way backed out. Either I will never be able to add more relief if I ever add lighter strings or I don't know how to use the 2 way truss rod. Can anyone briefly explain that or direct me to someplace that will?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

epilpimg.th.jpg

3. The guitar has what has been referred to as Gibson's "trick" of using a pcb to manage the humbucker pots "wiring". As far as the user is concerned and for a non vintage type of guitar is this considered a good thing' date=' a bad thing or just a different thing?

[/quote'] Hmmmm, can't comment on 1,2, nor 4, but.... am not gonna guess it's a "good" thing (but I ain't saying that it's not). If you intend to keep things stock, I'd say it's just a "different" thing. If you intend on wiring/rewiring/modding, pcbs don't have the best rep for multiple solderings and resolderings..... sections lift, etc, due to heat. It is what it is.....am sure whatever is accomplished by the pcb could be duplicated by point to point wiring. Enjoy yer Ultra II .... I wouldn't mind gettin' my hands on one eventually !!!

I had the nut on my Ultra II slotted by a luthier and it is not bone....I couldn't tell you what material the frets are made of...an important point that I found out is to replace the battery in the back of the guitar every so often...it makes a world of difference in the sound of the nanomag! You don't need relief just for the sake of having relief...two schools of thought, a straight neck and a relieved neck...if the frets aren't buzzing, go with what you got...

Archived